Leech Lake in Late September

Planning a 10 day vacation to Leech Lake the end of September. Fishing for anything that will bite. What can I expect. Thanks for the help. Can return information about Table Rock if ever needed.

2. Member
    Fall bass fishing up in the bays in the rice is great that time of year. However beware waterfowl opens September 22 (I think) and there will be a lot of hunters up in the bays in the mornings, but they are usually off around 10 am. That's all I got. I'm sure the walleye are bitting around the deeper water.

3. Member
    I will provide this little bit of advice, first off walleye are always biting on leech lake, bass are easy to find in shallower areas/bays try the bulrush or pads. However best idea drive to each access depending on what side of the lake you want to fish, otherwise I hope you have deep pockets for gas as youll burn a tank running from one side of the lake to the other. otherwise great fishery with lots of different types of fish that will bite, that time of year the topwater bite is always better than most.

Yeah I burned 65 gallons in a musky tournament (two days 8 and 7 hours), it's big and for sure some of the days will have heavy wind and it is shallow so the waves can get dumb. I'd suggest go for muskies one day and the right guide can share bass info if he knows that is also a reason your paying him. I would go to another forum - muskiefirst.com and find the member muskieninja, he was fun to go with even though we didn't catch one he only accepted half the "fair" because we tried hard with no spoils, but that's fishing
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Staying soutside Trader Harbor? Just out for fun, since leaving Michigan haven't fished for Walleyes or Pike. So anything that wants to bite I'm ok with. Have a Ranger 620vs so I should be prepared for most weather/waves. Thanks for the information, can I take it that gas on the water is available? I do not think there is a ramp that is very close to the house.

Most of the resorts with marinas will have gas. There might be a little sticker shock involved, but they'll have it.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

7. Member
    Planning on fishing swimbaits for walleye, what do the shiners look like on leech. I have never seen one from the part of the country.

8. Member
    a few local bait shops in Walker,MN southside of lake will have shiners/minnows for you to purchase but like macsimus said plan on spending about 1-2$ more a gallon for gas if your getting it on the water. much easier to trailer your boat in and out honestly and there is a public access on almost every bay and every side of the lake so you can find an access close I can promise you that but might not be next door but towing your boat on a trailer to and from an access will save you a lot of $ versus driving your boat to a local marina that has gas and spending 150-200$ to fil your tank only to drain 1/2 of that running back to where your staying. just a thought.

9. Member
    Wish I could help with the swim baits, but I haven't seen it done myself. Most use minnows.