Asian carp on Wheeler

Was out fishing today and ran across a mega school!

2021 Nitro Z21/300 4 stroke

2. Member
    That certainly isn’t good news at all!
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Yep, that's them alright...…...was just up on Barkley for a week and they're terrible up there. They were so thick in places you could almost walk on them.
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    I am sure they are on Pickwick also but I have not personally seen them. How long does it take these carp to ruin a fishery?

5. Member
    I was on the Black Warrior around Demopolis, and I am 90 percent sure I had one jump next to me. It jumped right at me with them ugly eyes. I hope I was seeing things. I grew up fishing the Mississippi river in Missouri the first one I saw there was around 1998. Between the carp and floods the bass fishing there has been really bad for 5 years or so. Also, my brother-in-law had to have reconstructive surgery after being hit in face by a carp while tubing.

I've been hearing they been on wheeler the last few months, but now I'm a believer. This video was taken around the Decatur area. It was literally thousands of them. Just like other videos, once I cracked the motor they went crazy.
    2021 Nitro Z21/300 4 stroke

7. Member
    Just my honest opinion but if we have to depend on Alabama game and fish to do anything proactive to stop Asian carp in Alabama before it gets out of hand then we are in a lot of trouble. Hope I’m wrong or the federal government comes up with some funding for Alabama Tennessee and Kentucky.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcman View Post
    I am sure they are on Pickwick also but I have not personally seen them. How long does it take these carp to ruin a fishery?
    They are on Pickwick. I have a buddy with a pic of one he shot bowfishing.

9. Banned
    I saw some on wheeler early in the spring. Same size as the ones in the video. I was further upstream at Huntsville between Ditto Landing and Redstone Arsenal recreation area.

10. Member
    Was on Pickwick yesterday, saw a school of juveniles fish 8-10 in just out from Dry creek along with some adult fish. So they are spawning and looks like reproducing rather quickly. 2 years ago I had not seen any, last year I saw some but did not know what they were for sure because they weren't jumping. Now I know. Spells big trouble for the Tn River system.

They aren't gonna kill the river any more than the last thing they said was gonna kill the river...just something else we'll have to deal with...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

12. Member
    [COLOR=#222222 !important]Why are carp a problem?[/COLOR]
    Asian carp cause serious damage to the native fish populations in the lakes and rivers that they infest because they (video, 45 sec), effectively pushing out the native species.

Silver carp are known to jump out of the water at high speeds, which can injure boaters and damage boating equipment. So, what does a school of jumping silver carp look like? Check out this documentary: (video, 7min).

Experts are worried that if these fish get into the Great Lakes, they may negatively affect the area's $7 billion/year fishing industry. By out-competing native fish species for food and habitat, carp may reduce the populations of native fish that are so important to fishermen. Even if Asian carp are kept out of the Great Lakes, continued spread throughout the Mississippi River watershed could result in them reaching 31 states and 40% of the continental United States, spelling disaster for our nation's freshwater ecosystems.

13. Member
    May not kill but they are going to put a hurt on it for sure.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    They aren't gonna kill the river any more than the last thing they said was gonna kill the river...just something else we'll have to deal with...
    Sure is putting a major hurting on kentucky lake....