2014 SHO Lost Power

2014 SHO 250 with 200 hours. Motor has been absolutely perfect and never made a drop of oil. Run non Ethanol Gas, Ring Free Plus and Stabil every fill up...

While making a run to a fishing spot (after making several runs), motor lost power while coming up to WOT and acted like it was out of gas. Motor DID NOT shut off or make any abnormal noise. Just lost power... I brought the boat off pad, put in neutral and idled for several seconds. Took off again and Boat came out of hole, on pad and ran fine. Could not make it do it again balance of day.

Very random and strange. Anyone ever experienced this?

2. Member
    Yesterday. Couldn’t get a restart. Brand new motor. Checked for fuel bulb, kink gas lines, fuses, all seemed good.
    Dealer will get it Monday and hopefully it is a quick fix. Fuel filter could have got a slug of additives as I put them in at last but it had a few miles of road travel and 30 minutes at the ramp to mix. Fired right up and idled out and put it on 2000to start my breakin. I got 2 minutes on it before it died. Dealer will get it Monday and hopefully a quick fix.

3. Member
    Crimped gas line. Dealer fixed in 5 minutes. Engine fired.
    hope the next attempt goes better.
    yours is more puzzling as it was a one time event and returned to performance afterwards.
    i am getting the feeling that Yamaha will not come to help and answer.
    You have to rely on this board but mostly your dealer.

4. Member
    My 11’ acted up twice in 2 days about 3 years ago and never again since. My theory was I was firing it and tossing it into gear instantly without letting the start cycle take place. Now I let it beep and wait a second and it has never done it again

5. Member
    SHO's have a beep when starting??

Hogs - My 14 did EXACTLY the same thing Sunday. No explanation at all, ran fine before and afterwards...

2014 Phoenix 920 Pro XP, Yamaha 250 SHO,

7. Member
    Thanks for all of the reply’s. I will keep the post alive if it happens to do it again. Motor has been great and have to assume it is nothing more than a filter or gas. No noise, vibration or power loss. Weird and random!

8. Member
    Or Aliens

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    SHO's have a beep when starting??

Mine does