Did it again, new smoker coming out way

So one of my long time friends and I started a bbq catering/food truck business this year, things are starting to pick up and we ran across an old restaurant building which didn't need a ton of work and would fit our needs perfectly. We made a very good offer and are in the process of closing on it and now starts the process of sourcing a new smoker for the restaurant we are going to be running. This smoker fits our needs for now, it's not the exact smoker we wanted, but it will get the job done and give us a path to our dream smoker in the future.

Yes it's gas assist, but with a competition switch we will be turning off the gas assist other than to bring it up to temp and running 90%+ wood for heat source though it. 72 square feet of cooking space, 18" deep racks and she will hold 1200ish lbs of meat per load. I'm getting excited to see what this thing will allow me to do with my cooking, our current smoker (a mere 32 square foot reverse flow cabinet smoker) has taught me so much about myself that I never realized already. When your putting your ass on the line and cooking for the public you really break yourself down to the fine grains of salt and pepper I use for rubs, this journey this year has given me a new lease on life and brought me out of a deep depressing hole I never realized I was in with where my lifes work was going.

Excited to share on here what this thing turns out, soon she will be fired up and roaring....SOON!

2. Member
    Congrats and good luck.

"The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

5. Member
    Does that monster stay outside ??

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Does that monster stay outside ??
    Yes it will, we are working on getting ready to pour a concrete pad in the back of the restaurant we are opening, going to add an awning to keep it semi protected from the elements and so our wood storage will be semi dry. It's not the "the one" for us right now but we have plans on saving up the 50K in order to buy our dream smoker for the restaurant in the future. This will definitely get us by with our goal being nearly 100% wood fuel only relying on the gas assist for initial lighting and warming up as well as keeping temps up if we happen to drop below our low level for any reason.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    Yes it will, we are working on getting ready to pour a concrete pad in the back of the restaurant we are opening, going to add an awning to keep it semi protected from the elements and so our wood storage will be semi dry. It's not the "the one" for us right now but we have plans on saving up the 50K in order to buy our dream smoker for the restaurant in the future. This will definitely get us by with our goal being nearly 100% wood fuel only relying on the gas assist for initial lighting and warming up as well as keeping temps up if we happen to drop below our low level for any reason.
    Ohhh wow 50k..... you aint playin lol

8. Banned
    Alabama Public Television had a one hour special on barbecue last week and the subject of hybrid natural gas cookers was addressed.

Just about all the great barbecue chefs have switched over. I am talking Melissa Cookston and all the Memphis restaurants. While the old style hickory cooking may taste slightly better, the pitmasters can now load the cooker and set a timer to start cooking. And they can finally have a home life rather than to stay up all night three times per week watching a thermometer going up and down.

My son in law is honing his craft on the BBQ circuit. They took 4th in shoulders last year and 8th in shoulders this year at Memphis In May out of over 120 teams.

Your cooker really looks nice. But bear in mind that even Chris Lilly's restaurant barbeque (Big Big Gibson's) is not as great as his competition barbeque with custom raised pork, etc. But Mr. Lilly really knows how to run a restaurant--the downfall for most unsuccessful barbeque restaurants.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Ohhh wow 50k..... you aint playin lol
    Yes, our dream smoker will be a 100% wood fire rotisserie smoker made by J&R manufacturing under the name Oyler Smokers. They are works of art and we will have one sooner than later.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Alabama Public Television had a one hour special on barbecue last week and the subject of hybrid natural gas cookers was addressed.

Just about all the great barbecue chefs have switched over. I am talking Melissa Cookston and all the Memphis restaurants. While the old style hickory cooking may taste slightly better, the pitmasters can now load the cooker and set a timer to start cooking. And they can finally have a home life rather than to stay up all night three times per week watching a thermometer going up and down.

My son in law is honing his craft on the BBQ circuit. They took 4th in shoulders last year and 8th in shoulders this year at Memphis In May out of over 120 teams.

Your cooker really looks nice. But bear in mind that even Chris Lilly's restaurant barbeque (Big Big Gibson's) is not as great as his competition barbeque with custom raised pork, etc. But Mr. Lilly really knows how to run a restaurant--the downfall for most unsuccessful barbeque restaurants.
    I'm not a fan of gas assist at all, which is why I'm pushing to be as much solid fuel as possible to keep quality standards up as high as I can. I personally would rather just leave the gas line unhooked, but in reality with the winter months up here the gas assist for heating will come in handy when mother nature throws us a curve ball. I'm excited to get to know this hunk of metal and find a way to make it turn out the best I can up to my standards rather than just turn que out and make money.