Question for those that buy Prime beef ????

For those that have a way to buy prime what cuts do you always get in prime.. Or at least prefer.

I ask this because ive read that some cuts such as the "tenderloin" which I think filets come from don't really need to be prime as the loin is so tender to begin with.. So just stick with Choice. I think I have also read this about Strip Loin as the NY strip cuts don't carry much more fat between choice and prime.

Purchased a whole Prime Ribeye which I'm pretty sure will benefit from the additional fat and I would assume a brisket would also benefit from being prime.

Any thoughts.

2. Member
    I think it has to do with the marble in the cut of piece of beef . Their is no marble in a brisket a whole lot of fat which will not make this piece of meat a tender cut or prime. So do you buy a T-bone ,NY strip, filet , Rib eye , Charcoal steaks is all great for high temp grilling room temp as a lot to do with how the beef will be tender gong co to high heat does affect it.

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

I prefer prime brisket. It seems more tender and flavorful. I do trim off some fat before cooking it though.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

5. Member
    We only do prime brisket for our business, being we are commercially cooking, the added QUALITY fat within the meat helps us cook briskets at higher temps and get amazing results. Personally I think "Prime" Ribeye is a play on words, I get locally whole ribeye for $3.29 a lb, about 14lbs on average. They are mostly untrimmed and the marbling in them is impeccable. Ribeye is one of the cuts where grades should be thrown out I think, some cuts definitely need grading but this cut along with tenderloin are near perfect just by nature.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    We only do prime brisket for our business, being we are commercially cooking, the added QUALITY fat within the meat helps us cook briskets at higher temps and get amazing results. Personally I think "Prime" Ribeye is a play on words, I get locally whole ribeye for $3.29 a lb, about 14lbs on average. They are mostly untrimmed and the marbling in them is impeccable. Ribeye is one of the cuts where grades should be thrown out I think, some cuts definitely need grading but this cut along with tenderloin are near perfect just by nature.
    Holy molley $3.29 !!! That's cheap. I thought I was getting a deal for a whole prime ribeye at around 10.00 a lb.

Might next time save some coin and go with Choice for my RibEye and see if I can tell a difference. I'm fairly new to buying these whole cuts of beef. So far ive only tried a choice and prime NY strip loin. Now I do think there was a flavor difference between those two.

7. Member
    So being you are in the business let me just ask..... If you were the average Joe like me cooking for myself what quality would you buy for each of the cuts ?? No sense spending the extra $$ if its not needed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Holy molley $3.29 !!! That's cheap. I thought I was getting a deal for a whole prime ribeye at around 10.00 a lb.

Might next time save some coin and go with Choice for my RibEye and see if I can tell a difference. I'm fairly new to buying these whole cuts of beef. So far ive only tried a choice and prime NY strip loin. Now I do think there was a flavor difference between those two.

This is probably the worst whole ribeye I've gotten from the local butcher, my phone camera isn't the best but the telling sign is how you can see the indent on the middle steak from where I picked it up and placed it on top. If you look close you can see the fine marbling and these steaks are amazing when you can hand cut to what you want and reverse sear them. These in particular were very tender, just the short time cutting them and moving them into bags I could feel the fat melt due to the heat of my hands.

The shop I buy these from also has whole tenderloins for $7 a lb, I don't buy them often, but they are tasty when we want good steak tips or a thick cut filet.

Finished steak just cause:

9. Member
    So being you are in the business let me just ask..... If you were the average Joe like me cooking for myself what quality would you buy for each of the cuts ?? No sense spending the extra $$ if its not needed.
    Honestly buy the best you can live with, I personally prefer ribeye over any other steak so "grade" isn't my concern when picking one out, I go for look as I prefer a 1-1 1/2" thick cut steak for the way I prepare it. For leaner cuts, quality matters if your looking for best flavor, but choice beef has gotten so good it's hard to find a bad piece of meat if your buying from a reputable place.

If I'm smoking a brisket at home and willing to take 12-16 hours I cook choice, prime is reserved for hot and fast cooking.

10. Member
    Honestly buy the best you can live with, I personally prefer ribeye over any other steak so "grade" isn't my concern when picking one out, I go for look as I prefer a 1-1 1/2" thick cut steak for the way I prepare it. For leaner cuts, quality matters if your looking for best flavor, but choice beef has gotten so good it's hard to find a bad piece of meat if your buying from a reputable place.

If I'm smoking a brisket at home and willing to take 12-16 hours I cook choice, prime is reserved for hot and fast cooking.
    Yeah I also really like my Ribeye and I also like them thick. Thinking maybe next time go with Choice and see what I think.

When buying an entire cut what do you look for out of curiosity ?? Seems hard to judge marbling being you cant cut into it..

But I'm a rookie.

11. Member
    Yeah I also really like my Ribeye and I also like them thick. Thinking maybe next time go with Choice and see what I think.

When buying an entire cut what do you look for out of curiosity ?? Seems hard to judge marbling being you cant cut into it..

But I'm a rookie.
    When I buy whole ribeye I tend to look at each end to see marbling, check fat cap and see the type of fat on it, also use the "bend test" like I do when picking out briskets where a piece of meat bending will give you an indication of how tough it may be.

12. Member
    When I buy whole ribeye I tend to look at each end to see marbling, check fat cap and see the type of fat on it, also use the "bend test" like I do when picking out briskets where a piece of meat bending will give you an indication of how tough it may be.
    Interesting.... Ill give that a go.

Do you ever age your beef ??? Ive been experimenting with these new UMAI bags that allow moisture to escape but not allow odors etc in. Did a NY strip that turned out pretty good and have 1/3 of that prime rib in a bag... Ive just never had a high end steak from a professional shop to compare.

13. Banned
    We seldom buy steaks, and never see prime quality beef in our market. We buy and eat much more pork at 1/3 the price of beef--or less. Last week, we were laying $1.17 a pound for boneless pork loin.

14. Member
    I was looking the other day and i could not believe how much a brisket was it was $100 for one of the toughest cuts of meat LOL

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    I was looking the other day and i could not believe how much a brisket was it was $100 for one of the toughest cuts of meat LOL
    You can thank the hipsters and us who own BBQ restaurants and make that tough piece of meat into butter :D

16. Member
    You can thank the hipsters and us who own BBQ restaurants and make that tough piece of meat into butter :D
    oh i agree, thats why i use to smoke them all the time lol

17. Member
    Same reason Chicken wings are almost as much as boneless breast....20 years ago they used to just about give wings away at the butcher...We would get them to feed raw to our dogs..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

18. Member
    Same with tri tip here locally. What used to be 3.99 lb is now 11.99 lb and never on sale.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI