2001 tracker 90 hp wiring issue

Helping a friend out he had issues with cranking issues last weekends tournament. Took a look and found these wires that go to fly wheel melted. Any suggestions?
    ?

2. Member
    got ser num
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Here are some additional pics, with serial #. Thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    My fishing buddy has the same 90hp, his is a 1999. same thing happened to his only his burnt so bad smoke came from under the cowl. It continued to run at an idle, so we fished the remainder of the day. When we got home we cut all the burnt wiring out and stright wired with shrink tube. same rersults. I have a 2001 90hp also, so we took my 3 CDM's (coils) off mine and put on his. Wala runs like a champ. Only one of his coils was bad. We used the process of elimination to find the bad one. Now all that being said we still don't know if the coil caused the problem or not but it's running great as of now.
    Good luck and I hope this helps. One more thing, check the wiring coming from your voltage regulator I'm sure you'll find them burnt as well.

5. Member
    those are charge wires from stator going to regulator need to repair make sure no deep cyle batt on cranker,check for spark on all cyls,and check for charging at batt
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Joe54, why not a deep cycle battery? Very curious why that would cause our problems. My motor the original poster and my fishing partner all have the same 90hp merc's, late 90's, 2001 motors with this same problem. Joe54 obviously you know something we don't. Would you please explain?
    Thanks in advance, Howard

7. Member
    overload of stator type charging system

Yep not good at all using Deep Cycle for starter, as JOE54 said, also will affect your RPM gauge....it will dance around

9. Member
    Thanks so much for that info, will replace DCB to starter battery ASAP. What a tool we have with BBC !

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner magic View Post
    Thanks so much for that info, will replace DCB to starter battery ASAP. What a tool we have with BBC !
    Can I get an AMEN up in here

11. Member
    Amen.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    FYI- We changed connections and it corrected the problem
    thank you all for the help!!!

13. Member