Shimano Symetre 2500---seized up

Good Morning! I have a reel that seize up while I was in Minnesota last week. The crank will not turn the gears. Is this a repair I can do myself, or do I need to send it off to a reel repair shop?

Thank you
    dave

2. Member
    This issue is well documented. Happens quite frequently. It did the same thing in my Sahara. Sent it to Shimano and they said it was fixed. Few months later it did the same thing.

Only fix is to buy a Shimano above that price point.

Also the issue only seemed to happen if it was raining when the reel was used.

Yes, I can correct if you havent damaged the gearing. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Yes, I can correct if you havent damaged the gearing. Dan
    So Dan, exactly what causes this, just curious since I have heard a lot about it over the years but never had it happen with mine?

5. Member
    Go buy another one and return broken one let shimano eat it.
    2015 189 trx

There's several things that could be causing it. Without seeing I cannot be certain. Either way it can be resolved. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Go buy another one and return broken one let shimano eat it.
    Class Act!

This happened to me--not a total freeze, but it stuck while reeling. I think it was the friction ring. Sent it to Dan at ReelEx, and he took care of it. I recommend his work.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

However, I do agree that Shimano could do better with their spinning reels at that price point.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Could be friction ring, osolation slide, spool shaft, or lubrication issue. Call me it's most likely not a serious deal. Dan

That issue with those reels is why I stopped buying Shimano products. Well, more specifically it was Shimano's unwillingness to acknowledge it was a problem or do anything about it despite the fact that I had 2 reels do it within the warranty period. "Like automobiles, fishing reels have parts that wear out over time and need replacing as part of their regular maintenance schedule." They didn't have an answer about whether it seemed reasonable for a 6 month old reel that gets used on weekends to have parts already worn out, why they redesigned the friction rings, or why my 15 year old Symetre never had the same parts wear out. It's also why the Symetre was discontinued - received a horrible reputation from that.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    I have 3 Symetre FJ's (2x 2500 and 1 4000) from 2011/2012 that have been rock solid so far. I have heard about this issue before on the forums but can anyone tell me if just certain models are affected? Curious if my FJ's series reels will have this issue eventually.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    That issue with those reels is why I stopped buying Shimano products. Well, more specifically it was Shimano's unwillingness to acknowledge it was a problem or do anything about it despite the fact that I had 2 reels do it within the warranty period. "Like automobiles, fishing reels have parts that wear out over time and need replacing as part of their regular maintenance schedule." They didn't have an answer about whether it seemed reasonable for a 6 month old reel that gets used on weekends to have parts already worn out, why they redesigned the friction rings, or why my 15 year old Symetre never had the same parts wear out. It's also why the Symetre was discontinued - received a horrible reputation from that.
    Me too Drew......I'm done with Shimano spinning reels.....they feel and work great, until they start binding up after getting wet.......

Quote Originally Posted by Aek29 View Post
    I have 3 Symetre FJ's (2x 2500 and 1 4000) from 2011/2012 that have been rock solid so far. I have heard about this issue before on the forums but can anyone tell me if just certain models are affected? Curious if my FJ's series reels will have this issue eventually.
    Mine were FJs. They'd work for a couple months, then would bind up if they got rained on. Then they'd bind up if they got dew on them. Then they'd bind up if you used them for a couple hours from water coming in on the line. Then they'd just bind up all the time. You could correct it by taking them apart, cleaning them, and lubing them, but it'd start all over again after a couple months. If you haven't had problems yet, I'd say you got some good ones somehow.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Mine were FJs. They'd work for a couple months, then would bind up if they got rained on. Then they'd bind up if they got dew on them. Then they'd bind up if you used them for a couple hours from water coming in on the line. Then they'd just bind up all the time. You could correct it by taking them apart, cleaning them, and lubing them, but it'd start all over again after a couple months. If you haven't had problems yet, I'd say you got some good ones somehow.
    Well said and precisely my findings as well. A fair weather reel for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
    Me too Drew......I'm done with Shimano spinning reels.....they feel and work great, until they start binding up after getting wet.......
    Me three...