Thread: Portable A/C

Portable A/C

Looking at a pop up truck camper with thermal insulated soft wall. Four Wheel camper is the brand. It currently has no air conditioner. Manufacturer and a dealer said can’t be done after initial build because they build the frame for a rear wall A/C when ordered that way but they won’t retrofit. Roof is manual pop up so I don’t want to put the weight on it. Plus the manufacturer recommends against roof air conditioner. Camper is garage kept and in good shape but I’m planning on using it 75% in Florida, where A/C is a necessity 6 months out of the year. I’ve seen portable units where you run a vent and drain hose outside but the unit sits inside on the floor. Are these worthwhile? Should I consider this camper? It is VERY well equipped for my uses except the one item. I have no experience with portable air conditioners so I’m hoping someone here would have tried one....

2. Banned
    If that is all that is available, go for it. Florida and the entire south is no place to be without a/c in the summer. I have seen them for as low as $199 online.

I just wish the RV industry would look into using mini split best pumps mounted on the rear of campers up high. They could run the evaporator lines where ducting is, and do away with roof mounted a/c units adding a foot or more to height. And they are twice or more as efficient.

3. Member
    I’m sure there are plenty of options out there, new and used that have regular mounted A/C units. All different brands. Four Wheel is a more iconic followed brand and their quality is considered very good amongst the off road, off grid crowd. I just happen to like this used unit but can pass on it as well if portable A/C is too troublesome or ineffective.

4. Member

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Interesting. Uses a heat exchanger instead ofr just over the ice like other cooler style setups. I always figured that would fill your camper with moisture.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Extensive discussions about evaporative coolers. Popular and functional but recommended against for humid climates.

7. Member
    Get on Bing search and enter "4 wheel campers air conditioner" and there are two pics of a small ac in the side window. Really a clean installation.

8. Banned
    I dont have a portable ac in a popup, but I do have a portable ac. Several sizes available and no doubt if you buy a big one that it will cool that camper. But they are a tad on the big side, so you’d lose about a 2’x2’ area with one.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 06-17-2018 at 04:21 PM.

9. Member
    Here’s another popular solution in Florida ...

https://climateright.com/air-conditi...ng-and-heating