Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    If I was going to a 20 foot boot Id probably want a 200, for the 18 -10 Id be happier with a 175,,, also dont see anything but a painted trailer offered. Wouldnt touch one, They need the option of aluminum of galvaanized trailer as well.
    New company,, so they will learn. But right now Crestliner, Ranger, Xpress, and probably lots others are gonna beat em on available options like horse power and corrosion resistant trailers.
    These folks arnt compaigning, they are pointing out shortcomings that would have them chose another boat. Maybe the MFG is on this forum and can see the constructive comments.
    Offer better trailer,
    Offer better HP packages.

Alumnum trailer is an upgrade option you can select, along with a dual axles trailer.

2. Member
    The HP rating really make zero sense. I understand the concept of affordability, but the execution was poor.

The AVX189 is rated for 115hp...not what all were hoping, but respectable and it is the entry level boat.

This new AVX1880 has the SAME rating???...This is where they lost me. This is a more premium model and should have been bumped to a 150hp rating. The jump from the 189 to the 1880 should offer more than 3 inches and cosmetics. There should be a REAL performance upgrade between models.

The AVX1980 at 150 is not horrid, but certainly lack luster for most knowledgeable shoppers. Even a bump to 175hp gives you separation in models and a slight performance upgrade.

Perhaps they have done the research and they are making the correct choice. I for one think it is a huge mistake. I was really excited for the 1880 as a glass replacement. Living in CO, that boat would struggle to do 40 two guys and full load.

3. Banned
    Vexus is avoiding the HP rating conversation like a plague .... They were quick to defend the trailer!

4. Member
    Why aren't you people bashing Ranger the way your talking about Vexus. You do realize that ranger also makes a 18ft boat with a 115hp limit.

In case you didn't know they also make a 19ft, that maxis out at 150.

At least Vexus is bringing fresh ideas and quality to the boating industry.

Don't go thinking that I'm associated with Vexus. I'M NOT.

All this whining over something that most of you have no intention of buying, is ridiculous.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassanglr View Post
    Why aren't you people bashing Ranger the way your talking about Vexus. You do realize that ranger also makes a 18ft boat with a 115hp limit.

In case you didn't know they also make a 19ft, that maxis out at 150.

At least Vexus is bringing fresh ideas and quality to the boating industry.

Don't go thinking that I'm associated with Vexus. I'M NOT.

All this whining over something that most of you have no intention of buying, is ridiculous.
    Who's comparing them to Ranger? Ranger is under powered as well. Don't they want to out perform Ranger? Make the 189 @ 150hp, make the 1880 @ 175hp and the 1980 @ 200hp. If you want a 115 then buy one with a 115. And what makes you think I wouldn't buy one ??? It's dissapointing to see a great looking, well laid out new boat on the market with a mediocre motor on the back.
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 06-11-2018 at 02:42 PM.

6. Member
    I am in the market....and I was more comparing it to Xpress X19. I like the Vexus boat better and I have seen the Vexus differences in person. It appeals to me a lot more aesthetically than the X19. I was hoping they would have something to compete with the Xpress line and exceed the Ranger line. The X19 I think is 2 inches longer and Xpress will put a 200 on it. I don't care if I get anything bigger than a 150 and I don't think that is asking too much for a boat that is similar to the X19.

The boat should be rated for something that will please the CUSTOMER ..... I believe most potential customers would like to be able to order it with a 150 IF they wanted. If you want a 115.....order one.

I think they do it because they want to push you into a 1980 if you want a 150. Really, a 150 is just not that big of a motor anymore. Well, they are pushing me into a X19 ..... When I saw they were going to offer the 1880, I thought it would have a different rating than the 189. I am just disappointed. I am not comparing it to the Ranger but I am comparing it to the Xpress X19. I would probably order the X19 with a 150. I am not a speed demon by any means, but I would like to do 47-50 MPH without running the motor wide open all the time. This boat should do that.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Who's comparing them to Ranger? Ranger is under powered as well. Don't they want to out perform Ranger? Make the 189 @ 150hp, make the 1880 @ 175hp and the 1980 @ 200hp. If you want a 115 then buy one with a 115. And what makes you think I wouldn't buy one ??? It's dissapointing to see a great looking, well laid out new boat on the market with a mediocre motor on the back.
    This has been my argument the whole time. Why under power the boat just to hit a price point. Let the consumer decide which engine they want for their budget. Hate it when boat companies under power their boats. As much as I don't like Nitro and Tracker at least they under power the package but the HP rating is where it should be.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

8. Member
    I was not comparing them to anyone to be honest.

There was massive hype and In their own words, the revolution is here...advanced engineering™...a total performance machine™.

Not sure what is revolutionary about .100 with a 115hp on the back.

Now post are talking about price points and affordability... I thought we were getting something that checked every box. The most bullet proof, nothing to knock, everybody wants one tin boat of the future...

If I had seen .125 and more hp I would be drooling and dreaming about owning a Vexus. They did so much right.

Also, I'm super confused about two 18'ers...one slightly bigger with more features (weight) and no hp bump.
    Last edited by Rmc949; 06-12-2018 at 12:30 PM.

9. Member
    The difference in price between a 115 and a 150 is around $2700. If you do the coast guard math you could rate the 18'7" boat for a 200 (comes out to 200.96) that math actually lets you round up too. When Legends originally came out you could put a 200 on their 18'6" boat (math came out to like 197 from what I remember, that was back in '04, I was shopping). At the time I was looking at Legend, BassCat and Xpress. I ended up getting a Sabre because it fit best in the garage. Anyway they were all about the same price back then (bout $24K) and the X19 was and still is rated for a 200.

Lots of reasons you might want an aluminum boat around here besides value, see lots of Xpress on the Mississippi river. Aluminum can take a little more dinging up without a couple grand in glass bills a year.

Plenty of companies have packaged 18 footers with 115's for "value" but still gave you a rating of 175. Just makes sense if someone wanted to max it out.

10. idbefishing
    Hopefully they will do what Phoenix does. a 618 comes standard with a 150 and has coast guard rating sticker that says 150. However, you can order it with a 175 and it would have a 175 rating sticker.

11. Member
    You guys at Vexus have a great boat but your going to make me look to Xpress boats for the simple fact you don't have a boat that has any thing over a 150hp. Hope to see something bigger soon.

To me if the coast guard equation allows larger engines then rate them for the max the boat can handle regardless of the price point. If it performs good with a 115HP or a 150HP use that is the marketing chip. But don't limit the consumer that wants to buy the boat and max out the HP because that extra cost isn't a concern. That gives us all the options and will allow us to decide what we want to pay or not. Don't limit our options before we even get started. The 1980 is a great looking boat and i would buy in a heart beat if it had a 200 on it and the trailer was done better to shorten the overall length with a Jackplate. The 1880 if it was rated to 150 or 175, I'd have my order in right now. That's too much boat for a 115. Maybe performs good, but i'm not looking for good i'm looking for great in my next boat. Love the concept but believe they are missing the boat when it comes to HP ratings and allowing the consumer to decide. Package them were they are wanting the price points but don't limit the consumer, never a good idea.
    Last edited by strids97; 06-13-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

13. Member
    What he said ^ . I am going to the Houston Boat Show today and I will be asking them about the max HP rating.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuhuna View Post
    What he said ^ . I am going to the Houston Boat Show today and I will be asking them about the max HP rating.
    Will be interesting to see what they say. From an engineering standpoint, why do they limit the HP on a boat like this? Is it safety? Do they think the boat won't stand up to the torque from a 150? I don't understand.

Nobody here seems to be able to answer the question, except for maybe "we do it because we want to and we can"?????

Look at their video clips.....They really tout the dense base design, all the stringers and extra bracing, then they build a Vector Force Transom and brace the heck out it and build the braces out of 1/4 inch aluminum, then they put the braces on a .125 transom....LOOKS GREAT.

.......THEN they hang the same HP motor on it that the Ranger or the Tracker has... Absolutely makes no sense to me. Why go to all that effort and expense and then copy the same HP other manufacturers offer? I just don't believe it is an engineering decision.
    RT188

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Will be interesting to see what they say. From an engineering standpoint, why do they limit the HP on a boat like this? Is it safety? Do they think the boat won't stand up to the torque from a 150? I don't understand.

Nobody here seems to be able to answer the question, except for maybe "we do it because we want to and we can"?????

Look at their video clips.....They really tout the dense base design, all the stringers and extra bracing, then they build a Vector Force Transom and brace the heck out it and build the braces out of 1/4 inch aluminum, then they put the braces on a .125 transom....LOOKS GREAT.

.......THEN they hang the same HP motor on it that the Ranger or the Tracker has... Absolutely makes no sense to me. Why go to all that effort and expense and then copy the same HP other manufacturers offer? I just don't believe it is an engineering decision.
    And they obviously do not want to give us their reasoning. They've answered all other questions right here on the forum except this one ...... total silence on the matter!
    They must be financially and or legally bound somehow to the hp ratings they went to the table with. There most certainly are outside forces that helped fund and get this company up and running.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    And they obviously do not want to give us their reasoning. They've answered all other questions right here on the forum except this one ...... total silence on the matter!
    They must be financially and or legally bound somehow to the hp ratings they went to the table with. There most certainly are outside forces that helped fund and get this company up and running.
    I don't think it is a legal thing like the physical measurements keeping them from it. Xpress even has a 18 ft. boat that they will put a 150 on if you order hydraulic steering. But Xpress has been making that boat a long time and has experience with the transom and how it holds up. I think it is called a H18. It is actually 10 inches shorter than the Vexus so I don't think it is a legal thing with measurements.

Maybe they want to get a few of these out on the water with the 115 on it and see if they new transom design holds up with the 115 without cracking or something before they decide to rate it for a 150. If you compare the measurements with the Xpress, it definitely could be rated for a 150 it seems to me. Maybe they will make some with the 115 and see how it holds up and then bump it up by 2 inches to have a "new" model rated for the 150. I know one thing....it is a great looking boat, they just missed the mark with the motor and that's a big deal when you buy a boat. I don't want to race a boat but I don't want to run wide open 100% of the time to do 45MPH either.
    RT188

17. idbefishing
    I think they are saving the 150 for the glass version of the exact same boat.

Just for comparison, I took a tape measure to my 2006 Xpress X19. It measures 18'10" from tip to tip with 92" beam rated for 200 hp. Vexus is making some great looking boats, just need to anti up on the hp. Lol..

Someone from Vexus needs to provide a real answer as to why they are not rating the boats higher. Saying it's a Price point decision isn't a valid decision! You package it for a price point but rate it to it's Max it can handle and let the consumer decide what they want to buy.

My Ranger R70 17ft is rated to 130 Although no one makes a 130 anymore. The Ranger 175 & 178 at one time were rated to 150hp. Now the 117 (bigger boat than all i just listed, wider heavier is only rated to 115 and from what I've seen tops out at 45-50 depending on load, people and so on. Not enough HP for that boat...i know a couple people that have them and they are going to be upgrading to something bigger as the 115 isn't enough engine. the 115 I have isn't enough Engine on my R70. The new Ranger 185 (same size as the original 185) but is only rated to 150, The original (which my dad has) is rate to 175, Totally different boat with a 175. 150 is not enough on that boat. Won't buy it because of that reason eventhough it's the only ranger currently besides the 117 that fits in my garage. Bass Cat, Sabre rated to 175, Smaller boat than the Vexus 1880. Bass Cat Pantera II, rated to 200, but smaller than the 1980? What are we missing here. Either they are hiding something or they don't care what the consumers want and are just rating to price point they want them at. Not a smart move at all. Boats look great from what I've seen, design, layout and so on, but the HP rating will keep me from buying one hands down until they change the rating on them. No reason a almost 20ft boat should be rated at 150 when everything else on the market is at 200+. Most of us won't buy a almost 20ft boat with a 150 to do mid to upper 50's. If we are buying that size boat we want 65+. yes speed doesn't catch fish but it gets you there fast!

Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

20. Member
    Interesting that I don't see the dry weight in the specs. It is bigger than the Tracker 190 and with the aluminum it has and a bigger gas tank, I expect it will weigh considerable more than the Tracker anr Ranger when full of gas and ready to fish.

If the biggest motor they allow on the Vexus is the 115, I think the Tracker 190 will be faster on the water. I don't want to to race the boat, but I would like to NOT have to run it wide open all the time to do 45MPH with full gas and livewell and two guys and all the gear. I am sure it might do 48 or so stripped down, but with the weight it is going to have it will lose a lot of speed. What is the dry weight?
    RT188

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast