300 Pro XS Repower Question for Don

Pro XS 300 4.6L
    s/n 2B529970

Don,
    Sorry if this is a little long winded.
    Could you please clarify information you provided in the repower thread
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=908047
    regarding Water Separator Kit:8M0135386.
    I'm a little confused at some conflicting information.

I had my motor installed by one of the best Mercury Dealers here this week.
    They have a meticulous attention to detail and did an amazing job.
    The technician DID NOT install the above mentioned water separator kit as he said there was already
    one integrated on the engine and that Mercury did not recommend it.

In the Mercury Engine Installation manual, the Fuel System section states the following:

Avoiding FuelFlow Restriction
    IMPORTANT: Adding components to the fuel supply system (for example, filters,valves or fittings) may restrict the fuel flow.
    This may cause engine stalling at low speed or a lean fuel condition at high RPM,which could cause engine damage.

IMPORTANT: Because of the high fuel flow rates at WOT, engines with horsepower rating of 300 HP and higher are especially
    susceptible to fuel flow restrictions. If your application encounters difficulty in achieving the stated specification at WOT,
    consider replacing the stock fuel filter with a high capacity, lower restriction filter and increasing the boat fuel line diameter to 13mm(0.5 in).

There is obviously an on board filter/water separator as there is a section in the Operating and Maintenance manual that shows how to disconnect and drain the contents.

Do I need the external water separator kit? or was that only for the 250 and lower HP motors.

Thanks
    Last edited by monkeyfish; 06-08-2018 at 07:04 PM.

2. Member
    To add to this my Z521L Ranger does not have an onboard filter and what looks like a fuel filter on the motor is allfully small. There could be a water separating filter on the motor but it is not easily visible. 250 PRO XS 2b529959 Hopefully I will know more when the shop manual becomes available.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    To add to this my Z521L Ranger does not have an onboard filter and what looks like a fuel filter on the motor is allfully small. There could be a water separating filter on the motor but it is not easily visible. 250 PRO XS 2b529959 Hopefully I will know more when the shop manual becomes available.
    Howieranger,
    I'm going to assume yours came rigged from the factory with the V8.
    Did they install an external filter/water separator in the bilge/battery compartment?

4. Member
    Not that I can find. I also found the wording ambiguous in the rigging manual which is why I added to your post.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please re-read the original thread- it was updated several days back with additional information regarding filters.

ONE filter (ONLY) is the recommendation. EITHER the one that comes on the engine (from the factory), OR a high-flow filter placed in the boat (and a bypass of the engine-filter).

For most of your bassboat applications, you should be FINE with the factory installed filter (assuming the fuel supply system is "clean").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks Don,
    You're the best!