2nd Bird same minor problem

Ok guys what do you do to keep water from getting in the passenger rod locker???

It was real bad on my 2012 because one of the holes in the step storage would direct water into it. I noticed with my brand new 2018 not only did they seal that hole but the put another drainage track in front of it. Even with these two changes it gets wet with even the lightest of rain. I mean wet not damp. I thought this might be a problem so i'm glad I ordered my new bird with the air circulation system.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Yeah knew this going in when I got my 2018. Not sure if it can be prevented so I just have couple towels in there as well as I also have the air circulation system. No big deal long as it don’t get mildew in there
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    No idea this was a problem. Have a PHX without circulation. Can you post a pic of where the hole is that lets water in?

4. Member
    If its like my 15 it comes from the co angler rod box. It has no lip on any side, so the water runs in, especially in the bottom corner against the side. Also the lid is split in 2 pieces for use with the removable passenger console. I found a tall rubber seal that slips on in place of the stock seal, which was to short.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caddyjoe77 View Post
    No idea this was a problem. Have a PHX without circulation. Can you post a pic of where the hole is that lets water in?
    I can no longer post a pick of the hole that let in most of the water because my new boat does not have the hole and if yours is a PHX I doubt you have the hole either, my last Phoenix was a 2012 721 and it had a hole in the lower step storage in the left corner closest to the passenger rod locker and if you tested it by pouring a cup of water in that storage it would go directly into the passenger rod locker. However even now that the new boats don't have the hole in the step storage they still get a lot of water in the passenger rod locker when it rains it get's damp to wet, when it's ruff and water is coming in all day it get's soaked. The water comes in around the low seal with the low lips on the passenger rod locker. If you do not dry it out you will get your rod grips in both the main rod locker and passenger rod locker loaded with mold.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919proxp View Post
    If its like my 15 it comes from the co angler rod box. It has no lip on any side, so the water runs in, especially in the bottom corner against the side. Also the lid is split in 2 pieces for use with the removable passenger console. I found a tall rubber seal that slips on in place of the stock seal, which was to short.
    Could you provide the info on the seal you bought? I would like to give it a try.

7. Member
    https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Seal-H...=car+door+seal

The problem is, it won't fit on the side where the hinge is. It helps, but still not perfect.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919proxp View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Seal-H...=car+door+seal

The problem is, it won't fit on the side where the hinge is. It helps, but still not perfect.
    Yup, I tried either that exact one on my 2012 or something very similar. I did not work for me . I don't get much if any in the hinge. It all seems to come in at the very far side closest to step storage.

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I've been in many a downpour and have not ever had that problem with my 2016, 921xp.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    Yup, I tried either that exact one on my 2012 or something very similar. I did not work for me . I don't get much if any in the hinge. It all seems to come in at the very far side closest to step storage.
    Same problem here. It needs the gutter channels all the way around.

That’s one thing my 17 has never had a problem with. How is that possible??

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxcvbnm View Post
    That’s one thing my 17 has never had a problem with. How is that possible??
    Next time you take a wave over the bow put your hand in the lower corner of the passenger rod locker closest to the step, I have not found one yet that is was not wet "4 other then my 2 birds" not saying they all do but I have not seen a dry one. You will not see any water when you look in because it get's directed to that corner, but if you don't dry it out any cork grips will be black in a few days.

13. Member
    I agree. I can't see how any can be dry with the design but I will take it to have that passenger rod box if that's the worst it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    Next time you take a wave over the bow put your hand in the lower corner of the passenger rod locker closest to the step, I have not found one yet that is was not wet "4 other then my 2 birds" not saying they all do but I have not seen a dry one. You will not see any water when you look in because it get's directed to that corner, but if you don't dry it out any cork grips will be black in a few days.
    Ill check it out

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I agree. I can't see how any can be dry with the design but I will take it to have that passenger rod box if that's the worst it is.

Thats right

Only real issue I have. I keep push pole, some tools and random shit in there. No problem overall. Open lid and let it dry thoroughly.