Best Prob for new XB-21

What's the best prop for running with 2 guys and a tournament load?
    The new boat is a 2018 and has the Racing 250 XS with a sporty. The prop that came with it is a 28 Bravo.
    We typically can only max out on speed around 78 mph and rpm are around 5600.

Ideally looking for combination of best speed and handling. We are not looking for top speed only, but the best all around prop?
    I was guessing we would be able to run low to mid 80's at least in this boat as a team.
    RETIRED NAVY CWO4 SUBMARINER
    2019 Basscat Eyra

2. Member
    Likely need to take a close look at motor height and weight distribution. Depending on load, that bravo should be able to get to the limiter at 83-86 mph pretty easily in decent water conditions. If motor is still in break in that could be part of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassgod View Post
    What's the best prop for running with 2 guys and a tournament load?
    The new boat is a 2018 and has the Racing 250 XS with a sporty. The prop that came with it is a 28 Bravo.
    We typically can only max out on speed around 78 mph and rpm are around 5600.

Ideally looking for combination of best speed and handling. We are not looking for top speed only, but the best all around prop?
    I was guessing we would be able to run low to mid 80's at least in this boat as a team.
    What gear ratio? Also what setback? What is your prop shaft to pad measurement? What is your water pressure at WOT? Are you running Power Poles? Which 28 Bravo are you running?
    Sorry for all the questions but trying to get a complete picture of what is going on.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

4. BBC SPONSOR
    What Jay said!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    My favorite prop for that same boat setup is a 26 or 27. Of course that is with the propshaft to hull at about even to 1/4" above with a standard 5.5" setback. If you have the 4" spacer then you have 9.5" of setback. With that I'd go to about 1/2" above to be safe. I ran my last 2 boats with similar setup but with the older pad, 83-85 and would be around 6200 rpms. Water pressure is a big deal and I like it above 15 and would typically see 20+ at WOT. But I also had the 28" Hydro props and others and they were to much in warm weather to come close to running decent in my opinion. Get one you can spin. Bigger is not better on a fishing prop I promise.

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    YOu left that door wide open bassgod, like mentioned you didn't state any specifics on gear ratio. So all we can assume is that if you purchased the boat and it came with a 28P Bravo it must have 1.62 gears. AND if you bought the rig from a reputable Allison dealer he knows what pitch prop needs to go with what gears so with that said...a 28P bravo on a 1.62 gear 250XS should run 90 all day long with a properly balanced load. 78 MPH is if you are running the gearcase deep and not trimming it at all.

If you are an experienced high performance driver then something is wrong but if you are new to an Allison hull and high performance then you are spot on.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    YOu left that door wide open bassgod, like mentioned you didn't state any specifics on gear ratio. So all we can assume is that if you purchased the boat and it came with a 28P Bravo it must have 1.62 gears. AND if you bought the rig from a reputable Allison dealer he knows what pitch prop needs to go with what gears so with that said...a 28P bravo on a 1.62 gear 250XS should run 90 all day long with a properly balanced load. 78 MPH is if you are running the gearcase deep and not trimming it at all.

If you are an experienced high performance driver then something is wrong but if you are new to an Allison hull and high performance then you are spot on.
    I too assumed 1.62 gears given the 5600 rpms with the 28 prop. But the dealer I bought my boat from def didn't know diddly about setting these boats up for top speed or performance. Nice guy and not so far off a fellow couldn't fish or run some, but when I told him the speed and performance I had had from previous boats with 250's and 1.62 gears and what I expected out of the 300XS he did not believe it. I sent him a few pictures of my GPS and explained the setback, weights etc. What I'm saying is there are some outstanding dealers with great understanding but I would defer a lot of credit to go to only a couple of dealers that I know have the knowledge.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    I too assumed 1.62 gears given the 5600 rpms with the 28 prop. But the dealer I bought my boat from def didn't know diddly about setting these boats up for top speed or performance. Nice guy and not so far off a fellow couldn't fish or run some, but when I told him the speed and performance I had had from previous boats with 250's and 1.62 gears and what I expected out of the 300XS he did not believe it. I sent him a few pictures of my GPS and explained the setback, weights etc. What I'm saying is there are some outstanding dealers with great understanding but I would defer a lot of credit to go to only a couple of dealers that I know have the knowledge.
    Sanderson Marine for example!
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

9. Member
    The boat was bought by my cousin and we fish together. He isn't a member on these boards. I told him he needs to get with the times and get online here.
    He says it does have 1:62 gears, a CMC Hyd Jackplate. It does have power poles and a 36v Ultrex.
    He bought it from the the Allison Dealer in Dallas, Key I think was his name.
    I was thinking maybe the hotfoot is not opening the throttle all the way but we will have to check that out.
    Sorry for the delay in replying, I appreciate the responses thus far.
    RETIRED NAVY CWO4 SUBMARINER
    2019 Basscat Eyra

My 28 Bravo XS with 1.75 gears will run 85-86 loaded solo even with the pad and 83-84 with a passenger turning 6100-6200 with each load. I have ran 80 with 4 adults on board as well. First thing to do is get accurate measurements on prop to pad heights and then we can help you adjust from there to maximize your setup. Also it is important to know how big of loads you carry. I do most of my runs with 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel but no water in the livewells. I do run fairly heavy as far as gear goes up front. Your boat will perform differently due to the power poles for sure. What batteries and locations are you running as well?
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R