Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    No warranty...….Insurance for sure because you did hit something that was floating under the surface, and it jammed between the prop and cavitation plate, and sheared the prop shaft in half. Call the insurance company.
    +++++1

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinvol View Post
    This is actually a flaw in the prop shaft manufacturing process. The prop shaft is made from different types of metal that are friction welded together. pretty cool process. I had this happen several years ago on a brand new lower unit. Mercury covered the lower unit and new prop. If motor is not under warranty, you definitely hit something.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....142&highlight=

***UPDATE***
    Right on the money. Not sure how people are convinced I hit something. Guess what, I hit nothing and computer logs are good and its getting covered under warranty. Zero evidence of anything being hit according to mechanic/dealer. Shaft sheared clean in half sending the prop into the lower unit. Pretty simple.

Serial # 2B359828 to make the thread kosher ;)

3. Member
    My drive shaft done the same thing

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spinnerbait View Post
    ***UPDATE***
    Right on the money. Not sure how people are convinced I hit something. Guess what, I hit nothing and computer logs are good and its getting covered under warranty. Zero evidence of anything being hit according to mechanic/dealer. Shaft sheared clean in half sending the prop into the lower unit. Pretty simple.

Serial # 2B359828 to make the thread kosher ;)
    That is good news!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    If you say anything besides repeating what savage said in post #2 to your insurance co you will pay to fix it. He is trying to help you out. We know what youre saying but if you keep on saying a word past what the guy that deals with insurance claims on boat motors you are going to have a very expensive lesson
    I understand this logic but why then even bother getting a warranty if everything will just be claimed on insurance. I fully grasp what you are saying but insurance rates can go up, you can be dropped along with a multitude of other negative consequences.

I'm glad it was done the RIGHT way.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spinnerbait View Post
    I understand this logic but why then even bother getting a warranty if everything will just be claimed on insurance. I fully grasp what you are saying but insurance rates can go up, you can be dropped along with a multitude of other negative consequences.
    This, glad it was handled correctly. Way to go OP!

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

9. Member
    Your lucky to have a "good" dealer......

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteangler View Post
    If the motor is under warranty, I would take it to a dealer and see if they can determine the cause. Then go from there as to filing a claim with warranty or insurance.
    Hear hear!!

Metal fatigue is a terrible thing. Improper heat treatment or forging techniques show up at any time.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinvol View Post
    This is actually a flaw in the prop shaft manufacturing process. The prop shaft is made from different types of metal that are friction welded together. pretty cool process. I had this happen several years ago on a brand new lower unit. Mercury covered the lower unit and new prop. If motor is not under warranty, you definitely hit something.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....142&highlight=
    Would certainly be one of the things I would be looking at. Rare, but you will sometimes have a failure at a friction weld. INSPECTION by the dealer is very important- sounds like the dealer in this case did a good job.

MOST broken shafts are just that- broken by external interfering force. But NOT all are.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12