Nylock nuts are nucking futs!

Gents:

I hate nylock nuts. They aren't worth the contents of my septic tank and should be banned from Planet Earth. Lock washers, threadlocker and nuts are the way to go. My trailer is a 2017 Load Rite and the spare tire bracket is mounted to the trailer frame with u-bolts and nylocks (I know, great security, all you need to steal a $250.00 mag wheel and tire is a $2.00 crescent wrench). In any event, I had put Threadlocker on the threads and then torqued the factory nylocks down to keep the spare tire in place. Despite this trailer having been on at max 10 trips, the nylocks were loose and the spare tire mount was bouncing around on the frame. Fork that.....I'm having a welder put a bead on each side of the spare tire bracket to hold it in place and have locking lug nuts to keep "honest" people from trying to steal the spare mag. Rant over, thank you very much.

2. Member
    Threadlocker might not be your friend in this case. Did you have conical nuts to fill in the cone recess of the lug holes on the rim? The design of the mount might be faulty from the factory or might need lug nuts to match the hole recesses on the rim. My spare tire is mounted in a similar fashion with lug nuts, and has been for 10 years. I use the spare when climbing over the bow to winch my 20 foot Stratos up, and I'd notice if it was loose.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You don’t use threadlocker on nylock nuts. This is a case where the two together aren’t nearly as good as either alone. With all the farm equipment and trailers I have, ive never seen a nylock come loose unless it had been re-used.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Banned
    Nylocks are not idiot proof.