where to stay for week trip , what part of lake for july ?

I have been to the Canadian side several times years ago, we are looking for a good option on the US side with a safe place to park boat, rooms and places to eat. We are looking at next year any advice is appreciated. Loved the Canuck side, but here they getting tough on US bass fisherman.

2. Member
    Not sure what you mean regarding the Canadians getting tough on U.S. fisherman?!? As a matter of fact they just relaxed the call in bullshit when travelling to Canadian waters by boat to fish. What time of year were you here when you fished Canadian side of lsc? Their season doesn't open until the last Saturday of June and they do not allow catch and release before the season opens. A lot of people still target bass before the opener in Canada, but it really isn't worth the risk as they can and will and have impounded people's boats for this violation. With all that being said, I would take a look at the sticky on top of the forum page, plenty of info there regarding lodging. My recommendation would be to rent a house on Harsens Island and base your trip from there.

3. Member
    Why would you pick Harsens Island?

4. Member
    Stayed at the ConCorde Inn of Clinton Township last week. Boat parking and power were located right outside of the room. 5 minute drive to Selfridge ramp, 10 mins to Crocker. Will definitely stay there again...
    Nitro Savage 896 - 150hp Mariner EFI - U​ltrex / Garmins

5. Member
    we stayed at fort mitchel/wallaceburg area. but as you said even catch and release before the opener is more risky. Returning to that area in mid July may be a option as well .. When do you think the best fishing is for both quality and numbers. ? June? Much happening in July ?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lykins Tr21 View Post
    Why would you pick Harsens Island?
    Primarily because you can rent a house and it is right in the middle of some great fishing. Plenty of areas to get out of the wind if it is real nasty out. The best time of the year for numbers is the first week of warm weather after ice out. This is typically the last week of April first week of May when the mile roads are on fire. The only downside of staying on the island is that you will probably have to get gas from a marina, so that will be a little more expensive. However, you could probably fish the whole week on one tank of gas if you aren't running all over the lake. I'm not suggesting you stay on Harsens and then run to the mile roads or anything like that. There are all kinds of flats, canals and bays to fish around the island. Just suggeesting another option in case people want to try something different than the mile roads. It has gotten pretty busy the last few years at the mile roads, even during the week.

7. Member
    we stayed at fort mitchel/wallaceburg area. but as you said even catch and release before the opener is more risky. Returning to that area in mid July may be a option as well .. When do you think the best fishing is for both quality and numbers. ? June? Much happening in July ?
    The Canadian side is good and you don't have to deal with all the pleasure boaters we have on our side. It won't be as easy fishing as the mile roads in early spring, but if you can find the schools 40 to 50 fish days aren't out of the question. 2/3 Of the lake are Canadian waters. Get a Walpole permit and you can expand your opportunities even more so. I fish the Canadian side almost exclusively once their season opens. It is way more peaceful and enjoyable fishing over there. The South shore of the lake from stoney point to the Detroit river is always good. I generally fish any where from the shipping channel to Mitchell's bay.

not risky. ILLEGAL

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

9. Member
    Thanks for all the responses, yes we like the Idea of Harsens Island...We enjoyed the Indian reservation/fort Mitchel area just required us to trailer to a motel in Wallaceburg. Looking at new options. What are the mile roads you guys speak of and why are they so good?

The Canadian side is really shallow and I am always afraid I will damage my lower unit. But is fun fishing and less people .

If you’re fishing that shallow on the Canadian side in July, your probably not fishing smallmouth are you?

Mile roads is the area from 9 mile launch to just north of the Crocker launch on the US side. Spring spawning area. Also good scattered rock and weeds throughout the year.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

11. Member
    we have to moter out a lot in shallow water to get to weedy areas, we fish for musky early.