300 XS lower unit is toast

2007 300 XS SN#1E002970, was running back in today around 45 mph when all heck broke loose, prop did not want to turn anymore. Got it back to the trailer and now have a broken torque master lower unit, there's a bulge in the side of it where it almost created a hole. I had just changed the lower unit oil recently, with no signs of water or any amounts of metal shavings on the plug. Is it 'normal' for this motor to have a lower unit go with only 350 hours? Would there be any advantages to going to a sport master? The motor is on a 25' bay boat.

2. Member
    Sportmaster is for 85+ mph boats.

3. Member
    880686a44, and your done, has verado stlyle gearing , and will be able to run pastic flo torque hub
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    880686a44, and your done, has verado stlyle gearing , and will be able to run pastic flo torque hub
    is this lower (XL) better than the torquemaster, or a better option for my situation? It's cheaper than the TM

Stay with the Torquemaster.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    for your situation I say yes and cheaper too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    one more question, guys. Will a TM lower unit off a 250 pro xs fit my 300 XS

8. Member
    yup sho will

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yup sho will
    Thank you, sir

10. Member
    Found a TM with a 20" shaft, anyone have a ballpark cost to have dealer install a 25" shaft?

11. Member
    don't you have to have a different mid also to go from a 20 to a 25?

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    don't you have to have a different mid also to go from a 20 to a 25?
    I'm guessing he already has a 25" mid, just needs the driveshaft installed in the LU.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

13. Member
    Of course

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    WARNING: If using a TM Gearcase, it MUST be a GEN-1 TORQUEMASTER.

Do NOT transplant a Gen-2 Torquemaster onto this engine.

Verado style gearcase would work... but you'll be much happier performance wise if you stick with what you had.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor