Ranger cool hubs help

I have a 2006 ranger z20 on a tandem axle trailer with cool hubs. I am thinking about replacing the seals as they are very old. My question is should I go ahead and replace the bearings as well or should I just inspect first? What about the races?
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    If it's not broke don't fix it.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

3. Member
    For some reason whoever owned it before has one hub that has the rubber cap on the end. Can I just change that cap to the solid ones?
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    If it's not broke don't fix it.
    I’m not sure i would follow this recommendation. Thats why it’s call preventive maintenance. Waiting for axles seals to leak before repairing them is a Recipe for disaster and Possibly wrecking the spindles on your axle
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Curious, how often should one change the seals? I know what preventive maintenance is, probably better than most. My trailer is a 2000 also and my seals are still good. I do carry a spare set however. I use lucas hub oil which keeps the seals in good condition.
    To the OP. 2006 Ranger trailers had lots of problems with the original hubs ans axles. Sounds like the original owner changed one out already. I guess there is different opinions on seal PM. Do what makes you confidant with the trailer. DO keep a eye on those hubs no matter what you do. There is plenty of post about those hubs on here. Do a search for the info. I think Ranger will even help with new ones. Check it out.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

6. Member
    I have a 2007 Z21 and changed the bearings and seals for the first time this spring. Although I never saw them leak, the back side of my rims were dirty from seepage over time. If you change them make sure to buy the sleeve that goes on the spindle and to seal it up good with red RTV.

7. Member
    I have a 1999 and have changed the seals, but have never had to do the bearings and races. Inspect the bearings and if they are OK re-install them. With the cool hub oil bath the bearings last a long time.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    Curious, how often should one change the seals? I know what preventive maintenance is, probably better than most. My trailer is a 2000 also and my seals are still good. I do carry a spare set however. I use lucas hub oil which keeps the seals in good condition.
    To the OP. 2006 Ranger trailers had lots of problems with the original hubs ans axles. Sounds like the original owner changed one out already. I guess there is different opinions on seal PM. Do what makes you confidant with the trailer. DO keep a eye on those hubs no matter what you do. There is plenty of post about those hubs on here. Do a search for the info. I think Ranger will even help with new ones. Check it out.
    So the hub cover with the rubber cap is the newer style? Somehow I was thinking it would be the older style.
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    I have a 1999 and have changed the seals, but have never had to do the bearings and races. Inspect the bearings and if they are OK re-install them. With the cool hub oil bath the bearings last a long time.
    A buddy has a 1997 Ranger that has been greased once a year. He called Ranger last year about replacing the assembly with the Vault system. The fellow in the trailer department said that he would leave the original system. When asked if the bearings/races needed to be changed he said no, his 1994 was running the original equipment. He said that was the best system they had ever used in his opinion.