Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

XB21 pad changes

For those that have ran the newer boats with the smaller lip on the pad what motor height are you running? I learned last week that mine does have the new pad on it. Me and my son fished a tournament from it last week for the first time but I haven't run it hard at all yet. I did feel like it had allot more bow lift than my other one did. The 2010 I had (for a month or so) would almost push the nose down when you stab it from say 30-40mph. This one lifts much quicker. Just trying to gather as much info as I can so when I do get a chance to run it I will have a general idea where to start.
    Thanks

2. Member
    Interested as well. Us guys with the older pads seem to run 1/2” above max with 8” and 1” above with 10” setback. And personally I prefer a quarter under than height when not trying to run 90

3. Member
    Matt my boat has 9-1/2" of setback and I'm running 1/2"-3/4" above pad. I let water conditions dictate the height more than anything.

4. Member
    Thanks Johnny. I mounted my motor in the middle holes and if I measured it right all the way up on my plate is right at 3/4” above. I think I’m running 8.5” of set back

5. Member
    Matt I have run as high as 5/8” above and posted a good number but it requires more weight to the left. It seems my experience the higher you go the more weight left is needed...

6. Member
    Thanks for the info guys

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Matt, what year hull is yours? If you think you have the new lip and it is a stock lip from the mold then most likely you have the new setup which is a set of 4" setback plates and the CMC 5 1/2" plus 1/2" wedges which is 9 1/2" setback. I think 2017 is the start of the new lip from the mold.

Now if you just bought a pre 2017 hull that had the lip modified by Mr. Allison then yes, you may still have the older 2 1/2" setback plates with the CMC
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Mine is a 2016. It was Terry's demo that he sold 2 years ago and I bought it from that guy. I asked Terry which pad this one had and he said the new one. He said the mold was changed right before it was made. I know he gets one every year so he could be mistaken on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wayne View Post
    For those that have ran the newer boats with the smaller lip on the pad what motor height are you running? I learned last week that mine does have the new pad on it. Me and my son fished a tournament from it last week for the first time but I haven't run it hard at all yet. I did feel like it had allot more bow lift than my other one did. The 2010 I had (for a month or so) would almost push the nose down when you stab it from say 30-40mph. This one lifts much quicker. Just trying to gather as much info as I can so when I do get a chance to run it I will have a general idea where to start.
    Thanks
    Keep a close eye on water pressure at WOT. I try to keep mine running 20-25 lbs. Pressure will change rapidly once you start to get the motor to high. It is a very fine line!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

10. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Ok then, I stand corrected. Didn't know it was Terry's boat so then yes it does have the new lip. Curious then why it doesn't have the 4" setback plates. I would highly recommend buying the Allison CMC upgrade kit and have it installed. Save yourself a ton of grief down the road. And you have the HD trim ram too
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. BBC SPONSOR
    At 10" back and stock old lip mine will hold 20 psi at 1" above.

Matt you have 8.5" based off the pic posted above. 10" and that fire brething X should make that hull come to life
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    At 10" back and stock old lip mine will hold 20 psi at 1" above.

Matt you have 8.5" based off the pic posted above. 10" and that fire brething X should make that hull come to life
    Can I be either a dumb smart alec, or a smart alect period. I see 2"+5.5" which would equal 7.5" of setback. Where am I off?

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Can I be either a dumb smart alec, or a smart alect period. I see 2"+5.5" which would equal 7.5" of setback. Where am I off?
    2.5" spacer + 5.5" hydraulic + 0.5" wedge

I domt personally count the wedge as setback and had never seen it counted until i came over to the Allison world.

Unlike River Rocket, I saw an improvement when removing the wedges. My boat stopped burying the bow as it broke over. I now run 10" with no wedge and she runs pretty good.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

14. Member

I domt personally count the wedge as setback and had never seen it counted until i came over to the Allison world.

Unlike River Rocket, I saw an improvement when removing the wedges. My boat stopped burying the bow as it broke over. I now run 10" with no wedge and she runs pretty good.
    I was thinking to put the wedges on mine.... maybe have to try it both ways?
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    I was thinking to put the wedges on mine.... maybe have to try it both ways?
    Question is are you having holeshot issues? Every boat, load and driver are a little different as well as props and expectations. I tried wedges and did not need them on my specific rig. Have needed and ran them on other boats. My bow launches higher without but I have no issue laying it over with my loads I normally run.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Probably driving style.

I went to the Jay McDaniel school of Allison driving. The school specializes in using the trim. They offer such classes as "Get on the trim", "Trim Early and stay on it", "Give it more trim", "How to tell when you need more trim", "You need to trim it", "What to tell Jay when he questions did you trim it", and "Trimming to bounce of the rev limiter"......
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Probably driving style.

I went to the Jay McDaniel school of Allison driving. The school specializes in using the trim. They offer such classes as "Get on the trim", "Trim Early and stay on it", "Give it more trim", "How to tell when you need more trim", "You need to trim it", "What to tell Jay when he questions did you trim it", and "Trimming to bounce of the rev limiter"......
    Problem with some of my running is I was nearly out of trim lol. Have only done seat of the pants prop height measuring lol
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Probably driving style.

I attended that school also, Geoff. Unfortunately, I bumped it one time to many and got dizzy. Lol In reality, I wish I could have blamed the trim, but my stupid self thought I could drive it through the wind gusting around a long curve. LOL She was really running good until a gusting wind took the nose 20 degrees to the east. lol. I didn't know if I was "washing or hanging out" in that instant. My fault completely. Glad I was in an Allison. Boat handled it great. See Ya, Woody

19. Member
    I believe they are 5.5” and the spacer is 2.5”. Normally there is a .5” wedge as well.

20. Member
    There is a wedge in there too but it's black.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast