Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new custom aluminum boat

Hey guys,

I'm in the beginning stages of getting a custom aluminum boat built by a local boat maker. I am trying to figure out exactly what electronics I will need. The first thing on the list is gauges. Is it necessary to have any gauges if I can get the engine data hooked up to my GPS. If gauges are necessary or recommended, which ones would I need (water pressure, oil pressure, fuel ect)?

thanks,
    Vince

2. Member
    i would go with a small 5" MFD and use that for engine data, get a larger screen for GPS FF. What brand outboard?

I don't use any of my analog gauges, don't think any are necessary - except maybe a gas gauge? I use my MercMonitor for RPM's, water pressure and coolant temps.

Cant wait to see pics when she's done!
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

4. Member
    It will more than likely be a new pro xs, just need to decide between the 250 and 300.

so basically you are saying just get 2 screens and use one for gages and one for a map?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
    i would go with a small 5" MFD and use that for engine data, get a larger screen for GPS FF. What brand outboard?

It will more than likely be a new pro xs, just need to decide between the 250 and 300.

so basically you are saying just get 2 screens and use one for gages and one for a map?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post
    I don't use any of my analog gauges, don't think any are necessary - except maybe a gas gauge? I use my MercMonitor for RPM's, water pressure and coolant temps.

Cant wait to see pics when she's done!
    do you know if the Lowrance with engine data will show all the same stuff as a merc monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by vjohn05 View Post
    do you know if the Lowrance with engine data will show all the same stuff as a merc monitor?
    Yep - I believe you need just the link module that plugs into the Merc and the Lowrance
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

8. Member
    You don't need a gas gauge if you have a mercmonitor. There is a fuel use function that you can zero each time you fill the tank. It is dead accurate

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    You don't need a gas gauge if you have a mercmonitor. There is a fuel use function that you can zero each time you fill the tank. It is dead accurate
    True - this is what I use as well.... Not a gas gauge - but a digital fuel usage.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

10. Member
    Hey guys,

I'm in the beginning stages of getting a custom aluminum boat built by a local boat maker. I am trying to figure out exactly what electronics I will need. The first thing on the list is gauges. Is it necessary to have any gauges if I can get the engine data hooked up to my GPS. If gauges are necessary or recommended, which ones would I need (water pressure, oil pressure, fuel ect)?

thanks,
    Vince
    Now the fun begins . If you don’t mind me asking , who’s building your boat ?

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Yes - BUT it is not cheap. The information must be presented to the HDS unit in NMEA 2000 protocol and the Mercury engine communicates in CAN protocol so you have to have a gateway to translate to NMEA 2000. Gateway and cable Cost about $400 and you will need a NMEA 2000 starter kit, about $65. I elected to purchase a level one Merc Monitor that has a built in NMEA 2000 gateway for about $600.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    l
    Last edited by vjohn05; 08-29-2018 at 09:53 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Yes - BUT it is not cheap. The information must be presented to the HDS unit in NMEA 2000 protocol and the Mercury engine communicates in CAN protocol so you have to have a gateway to translate to NMEA 2000. Gateway and cable Cost about $400 and you will need a NMEA 2000 starter kit, about $65. I elected to purchase a level one Merc Monitor that has a built in NMEA 2000 gateway for about $600.
    I guess the thing to do is get the level on and still get everything hooked up to the GPS through nmea. Doesn't seem like it will cost a whole lot more.

14. Member
    If money were not a big consideration and you are going with a merc I would get the standard smartcraft gauges such as tach,volts,pressure,trim,fuel and get a mercmonitor in place of the speedo.

15. Member
    I was looking at 3 builders. Gator Trax, sportsmans fab, and uncle J custom boats. Gator trax and uncle J seem like great people to deal with. Both are super friendly and make top notch products. I think ill prob go with uncle J because he builds a boat that is more suited to where I fish. I want a padded hull bay boat with bass boat layout and center console.
    Awesome . I’m sure you will be happy with whichever you decide on . Keep us posted on the process and good luck .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

This will be sweet,

Being I never heard of Uncle J Boats, I sure want to see what you have built.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

17. Member
    I was looking at 3 builders. Gator Trax, sportsmans fab, and uncle J custom boats. Gator trax and uncle J seem like great people to deal with. Both are super friendly and make top notch products. I think ill prob go with uncle J because he builds a boat that is more suited to where I fish. I want a padded hull bay boat with bass boat layout and center console.
    My brother has an uncle J’s. He is very happy with it and it was done quicker than quoted. The boat is a tank.

18. Member

That is how I would set it up, I believe Simrad is the OEM for Mercury's Merc Monitor and you can use something like the GO5 for engine data, this link though a couple years old explains it https://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/en-a...mrad-Displays/

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanson1114 View Post
    My brother has an uncle J’s. He is very happy with it and it was done quicker than quoted. The boat is a tank.
    does he have a mud motor boat or a pad hull boat?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    This will be sweet,

Being I never heard of Uncle J Boats, I sure want to see what you have built.
    go check out his facebook page, hes got some good stuff on there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast