Thread: NOCO Charger

Question NOCO Charger

My 2016 PUMA has a 4 bank NOCO genius charger. I am planning on replacing my Exide wet cell batteries with AGMs. From other posts, some have had charger issues with AGM batteries with this charger. According to what I have seen on their (NOCO) web site, they work with AGMs. Any words of advice before I spend $800 on 4 - 31 series Duracell ACM batteries from Sam's Club?

2. Member
    I have the NOCO and been running the Northstar 31 AGM for 2 years flawlessly. I talked with both Northstar and NOCO and they said I shouldn’t have any issues. So I’m happy.
    Basscat!

3. Member
    The only recommendation that I can offer is to install battery cut off switches for both crank and troller batteries if you are going all AGM. Unfortunately, the Noco has the capability of applying a sustained high voltage (above 15) which can be permanently damaging to an AGM if it is tricked into thinking a healthy battery to be an unhealthy one. Isolating the batteries during charging with cut offs can prevent this.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    If a battery cut off switch is installed on the cranking battery, do the graphs not loose power and, thus, the correct time and such? I think my NOCO is a 10x4, so it can still overcharge (above 15)?

5. Member
    My Birds are on cut offs but don’t lose any info. Your 4 bank charger can still overcharge. It has to do with the charging profile.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    My Birds are on cut offs but don’t lose any info. Your 4 bank charger can still overcharge. It has to do with the charging profile.
    No it can not overcharge your battery,
    NOCO genius chargers use smart charging technology, just because they are capable of 10 amps per bank does not mean that they charge at that rate. They will auto adjust to a safe charge rate for the battery they are charging and they will never reach a 15 volt charge voltage. Most of the time they will be at about 13.5 unless they are in float mode which is even lower.
    This is one the best chargers if not the best that you can buy.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    No it can not overcharge your battery,
    NOCO genius chargers use smart charging technology, just because they are capable of 10 amps per bank does not mean that they charge at that rate. They will auto adjust to a safe charge rate for the battery they are charging and they will never reach a 15 volt charge voltage. Most of the time they will be at about 13.5 unless they are in float mode which is even lower.
    This is one the best chargers if not the best that you can buy.
    Go with what you believe. I'll run with what has been verified with Noco, here on BBC in the electrical forum some time ago, concerning their charging profile.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    If a battery cut off switch is installed on the cranking battery, do the graphs not loose power and, thus, the correct time and such? I think my NOCO is a 10x4, so it can still overcharge (above 15)?
    I installed an On/Off - Jump Start - Battery 2 only switch in my Sabre FTD. No issues whatsoever, and no drawdown from electronics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Go with what you believe. I'll run with what has been verified with Noco, here on BBC in the electrical forum some time ago, concerning their charging profile.
    Can you elaborate on this? Where is the post you are referring to. I just installed a Noco Gen4 in my boat and it is charging one of the batteries over 15v and the others to 14.80. There is a red light on the one that is charging to 15V +. I dont think its the battery. I just had a Minn Kota charger in there and that battery was fine on that charger.
    My trolling motor batteries are isolated. Nothing else connected to any of them.

10. Banned
    For me, I used Extreme Battery Charger's built by Pulse Tech. A NO JOKE battery charger company. Other chargers would monitor your batteries reading charged. Put that charger on the batteries and watch them charge. I run lithium now but still have the chargers.

Have that battery tested, probably bad
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I'm running Blue top Optimas and my NOCO charger will go to all green like the batteries are charged in just a few minutes after fishing all day. Volt meter shows they aren't charged. I've just been using my regular noco charger to charge my batteries lately. I don't know if it's something wrong with the onboard charger or it just doesn't do good with agm batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by PumaMatt View Post
    I'm running Blue top Optimas and my NOCO charger will go to all green like the batteries are charged in just a few minutes after fishing all day. Volt meter shows they aren't charged. I've just been using my regular noco charger to charge my batteries lately. I don't know if it's something wrong with the onboard charger or it just doesn't do good with agm batteries.
    Check the voltage while charging with a GOOD DVOM and at what the voltage is when they turn green. Smart chargers will stop charging when certain voltage levels are met and start charging when the levels drop down. Light to determine state of charge are not all that accurate.
    If you want to get an accurate state of charge after charging you must remove the surface charge first, such as turning you pumps for a few minutes. Let set for five minutes and check the voltage with a DVOM.
    Google state of charge for batteries to find a chart for you battery type. It does varie by type
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-27-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Thanks ow I’ll check it out.