Simple Ultrex install for Nitro Z7, Z8 and Z9 boats.

For those wanting to install an Ultrex on Nitro Z7, Z8 or Z9 boat without having to go through the hassle and expense of cutting out carpet and the flooring of your boat to install a larger foot pedal recess hole for the Ultrex foot pedal, consider this option. I bought a large 15x20x1/2 inch cutting board from Sam's Club for 12 dollars. I removed the stock black bow panel, with the big lip, on my Z8, laid it on the cutting board, outlined its shape, the toggle switch panel position and marked the screw holes positions. Then I cut the outlined shape and switch panel hole with a jig saw, smoothed it with a file and drilled holes for the screw hole markings. Then I installed the switch panel to the cutting board and screwed the cutting board to the bow and tried the Ultrex foot pedal. The plastic cable piece still hit, but I used a piece of the 1/2 cutting board to lift the front of the foot pedal to where it didn't. My plan was to notch out the area where the plastic piece hit so I could lay the Ultrex foot pedal completely flat, but I traded boats and left this option to the new user. Anyhow, this is one way to get an Ultrex foot pedal to fit in a Nitro without having to start sawing up your boat. The good thing about the approach is if you don't like it, you can just reinstall the stock bow panel.

2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

2. Member
    Nice craft...
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

I like the panel better than the raised black one... may need to make my own
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    That is a pretty slick idea. Great work and thanks for sharing!!

5. Member
    Hmmm... I like it. Looks like my Z8 will be getting a new bow panel in off season. Thanks for sharing.

i bet it is strong enough to gimbal mount a 9" unit to as well haha, if only nitro would have thought of this!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    i bet it is strong enough to gimbal mount a 9" unit to as well haha, if only nitro would have thought of this!
    Yes it is Fishysam. It is a lot stronger than the stock black bow panel. I was going to put my Dek-It Mount and HDS 12 on it before I got a hot deal on a discounted Z21. I know you could flush mount a HDS7 and maybe even a HDS9 if so desired, and it only cost 12 dollars to experiment with haha. The white cutting board matched my white & blue Z8 perfectly. You could paint it whatever color you like to match your boat. While not shown, I used a piece of the left over cutting board to fill in the hole at the top of the foot pedal recess hole using short stainless steel screws and L brackets to attach it to the bow plate, to make it a one piece assembly and cover the foot recess hole to the bow. The Ultrex is hardwired to the two trolling motor batteries, via a switch, so only a small hole was needed in the L bracketed cutting board piece to get all the Ultrex and HDS power, network and transducer wiring made. While this is shown for a Z8, I am sure it would work for Z7's and Z9's since all stock Nitro black bow panels are close to same shape and size. Actually I liked the look of my Z8 a lot better with this flat bow plate on it.
    Last edited by texasfisher; 06-07-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.

The flat bow plate is one of the odd things that make me want to trade my z8 for a z21, I'm on my second bow cover, first one a factory flush mounted hds9t exploded haha because it was a zpro from the factory they warrantied it

9. Member
    What did you do about the turn down into the foot pedal area. I like the way this looks and I've been wanting to take my Garmin bow unit off the panel and put on the Garmin mount because its hard to see with polarized glasses when I am spider rigging crappie in January.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d91 View Post
    What did you do about the turn down into the foot pedal area. I like the way this looks and I've been wanting to take my Garmin bow unit off the panel and put on the Garmin mount because its hard to see with polarized glasses when I am spider rigging crappie in January.
    I used a piece of the left over cutting board to fill in the hole at the top of the foot pedal recess hole using short stainless steel screws and L brackets to attach it to the bow plate, to make it a one piece assembly and cover the foot recess hole to the bow.

11. Member
    After tons of research for installation of the Ultrex on older Nitro boat, I found most people were cutting fiberglass and installing bigger trolling motor recess pans. I was nervous about cutting the carpet and fiberglass and I stumbled on texasfisher's idea. Before purchasing the cutting board, I figured I would try to modify the existing panel to see if everything would even fit. Sure enough, the foot pedal fits just right in the existing tray. The foot pedal moves forward about 2" and is butted up to the bottom of the existing black panel. I cut holes to allow wires and cables to route under the panel. Two fishing trips in this configuration and everything seems to be working fine. Depending on how this setup goes, I may go with texasfisher's idea as an alternative.

I have a 2014 Nitro Z7. I will also say that this trolling motor is fantastic and well worth it!!

IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    Last edited by Sernbek; 06-24-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Upload photos

12. Scraps
    Great idea and looks awesome. You coulda done butcher block.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD