Merc digital or analog repower questions

Current setup: 1996 Mercury 225 EFI 3.0 SN OG337051 on a 1996 Ranger 491 VS

Looking at repowering the above motor. From Don's recommendation, gonna go with the new 4 stroke 225 V8 Pro XS. I have the choice to stay analog and just pay for the adapter cable or go digital. The cost for digital is over 1500 but that's within my budget. I tried to read up on the Merc site about digital, but it was confusing on what I will gain. If money is no object, should I go digital? What do I gain from it, and I assume new gauges are in order with that? My old gauges need replacing anyways and I will get a new instrument panel from Ranger to make it all clean. This will probably be my last boat ever, so I want to do it right. I have the original Seastar steering so I am also wanting to upgrade that to the newest version as well, I assume the Seastar Pro is the way to go? I will also be adding an Atlas jack plate. Anything else to add while I'm repowering? Like I said, might as well get it all done at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any help and insight.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Digital gives you effortless control and very precise movement/action.

That being said... I would question that you will really be able to switch to all digital controls for $1500. Parts alone exceed that.

Steering- Depends on above. If staying with Hydraulic, consider the Mercury HD /U-flex cylinder, and retain your SeaStar helm.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I converted from cable (Yamaha hpdi) to digital (verado) and like it. The effort is lighter and there are no cables to get stiffer over time or when kinked. It also has the advantage of not being able to easily damage the clutch dog in the lower unit due to engaging too slow or only halfway with the cable control.

4. Member
    i don't get these digital gauges...i received new boat last fall ranger 520L..told my dealer i wanted to see my engine numbers on my lowrance...he orders me these mercury digital gauges? had a tan face on them? are those they digital gauges you are talking about? was not impressed with them, could not see the readings worth a flip. Also it was 400$ more than the standard ranger gauges. I gt rid of the boat and replace with same model and got the standard ranger gauges and the smart craft gauge. it works ok.. only use it to see fuel used and rpms...everthing else on gauge is worthless bc you need more parts to make it functional..oil, trim, fuel, etc... looks cool when dark and hard to read in the sun..

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    The vesselview can replace all the gauges and all it needs to work is the link/nmea backbone. It will even show fuel level and fuel remaining without fuel level floats.
    Let's back up a bit there... there are NUMEROUS instruments in the Vessel View Lineup.

It needs a Smartcraft Network in order to function.

They CANNOT show fuel level unless the Fuel Harness has been installed between the engine and the tanks. Applies to ALL engine models and ALL Smartcraft Instruments.

Good idea to drop Rhonda an email for information- she has compiled most of what you'll want to know in one place. See her post (pinned at the top of the forum) for email contact info.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    A good Smartcraft read at top of the 3L 2-stroke forum, might be beneficial to add to this forum too - SMARTCRAFT Options
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Will be reworking the FAQ Section in the coming months- that will be one of the areas focused on. Have a TON of new stuff to include.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Will be reworking the FAQ Section in the coming months- that will be one of the areas focused on. Have a TON of new stuff to include.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax