1988 XR4...Won't get out of it's own way...

SERIAL: 0B289062

Picked up an '88 Tracker glass boat from a buddy's back yard. He says it ran like a top back in Nov. and has been sitting ever since. Took it out 3 weeks ago and it planed out to 39mph and then it quit peeing so I shut it down and got towed in. I've since changed the water pump and replaced the spark plugs. I ran it again yesterday evening. it fired right up, idled out of the no wake, took longer than I feel like to plane but eventually got it to 47mph. It ran this way for about 5 minutes and lost just about all power. I did noticed a "sneezing" sound and what felt like a hiccup for the short time I was at W.O.T. I checked my primer bulb, flat as a flitter, so I put a new one on by buddy had in his boat that was with me. Final result...Motor fires up fine, but will only idle, bulb stays primed but any throttle beyond idle it dies.

I haven't done a couple of the simple things, just as a result of a total lapse of thinking. I have not replaced the fuel filter, and I have not had the carbs cleaned. I did add 6 gal of new fuel and a bottle of sea foam.

Today I noticed one of the bleed tubes from the head had split so I cut off that section of tube and reconnected.

I'm hoping a nice carb cleaning will fix me up, but honestly, reading about stators, and switch boxes, coils, etc has me wondering if this is turning into a bigger project.

Any thoughts? And yes I searched, hence the mention of the electrical stuff.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Josh256v; 06-06-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    Josh Pope, Realtor, Tutt Land Company

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Added the SN. Thanks!

New fuel lines from gas tank to the motor. Sounds like fuel lines with a liner that's separating and collapsing to close off the fuel lines. Then rebuild fuel pump, replace fuel filter as those are normal maintenance items and they've probably sucked up little chunks of liner anyhow. The flat primer bulb, short of the bulb itself going bad, almost assuredly means there's an upstream restriction of some sort. Think of sucking air through a straw then sticking your finger on the end of it. The straw will go flat, and you're sucking no more air. That primer bulb going flat is the equivalent of that straw going flat, the motor is equivalent to you, and instead of (not) sucking air it's (not) sucking fuel.

It doesn't happen at idle because there's not enough pressure to collapse the liner, then when running WOT it puts enough pressure on the liner to collapse it and shut off the flow.

If it's not lines, could be an airflow restriction on the fuel tank vent, or a restriction in the sending unit at the fuel tank. Seeing if removing the gas cap fixes it would be a way to rule out a problem with the vent, at least, though I think you'd have problems idling as well if it was something like that.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Thank You! I'll replace all of that next!

6. Member
    check spark on all 6, and compression
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    check spark on all 6, and compression
    Getting spark on all cylinders if getting spark means that I can visually see a spark in a spark plug tester. Compression is right at 90 in all cylinders using a cheap AutoZone guage.

8. Member
    proceed to fuel system inspection and repair
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Helpful information from the FAQ at top of forum - FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax