Thread: Oil leaking?

Oil leaking?

Has anyone seen this before ?
    2016 Mercury 250 proxs
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Lower unit was probably overfilled and pushed the seal out.

3. Member
    Savage, where is the seal? I think I may have done this also. i am concerned now.

4. Member
    Appreciate the info savage !! ��

Figure out if it is lower unit oil or oil from the motor. Mine was due to the lower crankcase seal leaking

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Savage, where is the seal? I think I may have done this also. i am concerned now.
    Main shaft seal.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    2B120841

9. Member
    possible shift shaft seal or seals under water pump, usually if its w/p seal oil will come out pickups on side and front first JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Can you replace the shift shaft seal without remove the lower unit oil. I just changed it and dont want to drain it.

11. Member
    You will want to pressure test the l/u to determine what seal(s) is leaking. If lube got out, most likely water got in.

12. Member
    You certainly can but anytime you have a leak “out” you have to assume at sometime you had a leak “in” and if I thought there was any water contamination at all I would change it. The risk/reward in this case is hi/low compared to the health of your lower.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    You certainly can but anytime you have a leak “out” you have to assume at sometime you had a leak “in” and if I thought there was any water contamination at all I would change it. The risk/reward in this case is hi/low compared to the health of your lower.
    What actually happened was that I changed the oil and looked darker but still had the blue tint to it with no gray like it would have if water was involved in the unit. So I changed the oil out first ( not smart but i am leanring ). It has very clean oil in it now. After I changed the oil I pulled the lower unit to change out the pump and notice the leak at the seal at the shift changer. Hence the oil is brand new and has not been back in the water since. So It looks like I don't need to change it out again afterall.

14. Member
    I had this same looking leak happen to me the day I bought my boat and trailered it home. I called the manufacturer back and was told it was a overflow. So, I didn’t worry about it...fast forward a few months I was unloading the boat and it wouldn’t go into gear. I took to local dealer and the lower unit had to be replaced. It had some water in it...thank god warranty covered it.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh3 View Post
    You will want to pressure test the l/u to determine what seal(s) is leaking. If lube got out, most likely water got in.
    +1

Driveshaft seal or Shift-Shaft Seal are common possibilities.

Almost always caused by OVER-FILLING the gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor