yamaha f80 overheat alarm

yamaha f80L=TLRB ser.no 1000093

Hi guys. Quick question, I have the above motor which had a new oem lower unit installed a couple years ago. Anyway I was out fishing this morning and heading back to the dock when I got a solid beep /alarm .Looked back and no tell tale water so I shut it down and use trolling motor to get back to the dock. Question is it possible for the impeller to be shot allready? Sure dont remember hitting any sand with it. I ran a small wire thru the hole and didnt seem obstructed. Hoping it might be something simple so I dont have to haul it all the way to Lincoln to have it looked at. Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

2. Member
    Impeller wear can be the result of much more than calendar time or operating hours.

The over temperature alarm sounding at the same time that water stops flowing from the tell tale is highly suggestive of a failed impeller. Engine cooling is not dependent upon water flowing from the tell tale. Lack of water from the tell tale, presuming a hose is not clogged, indicates the pump is not working.

3. Member
    Appreciate it yam911. Ill make some calls tomorrow and try to get it in. Finding a mechanic within a 80 miles around here is like pulling teeth, and when you do its like there doing you a favor to work on your stuff. Reckon thats the way it is.

4. Member
    Yam911, fyi you were correct. Dropped it off last Thurs and just got a text from the marine tech saying the impeller split and took the housing out. Should be able to pick it up Wed. Thank You