Teckel Frog Problem

I threw the newish Teckel Sprinker frog for the first time yesterday out of my little inflatable pontoon over some grass (some topped out and some just under the surface). I had 5 blow ups on it and 0 hookups. Any tips on hooking up with this thing?

I was reeling it moderately fast so it was hard to let them eat it after they hit it because my line was already so tight. A couple times the frog came back completely full of water which tells me that the fish completely collapsed it and then spit it, allowing the frog to suck up a ton of water. Again, any tips on this thing? They wouldn’t eat a regular frog when I was walking it so it was my only option.

2. Member
    I would assume your not setting the hook hard enough. I used one for the first time last weekend. First fish was 3 pounds and destroyed the frog. The body slid up my line, second fish was about 1.5 pounds and did they same thing. Thats alot of money for 1 fosh to ruin a bait.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish.rb View Post
    I would assume your not setting the hook hard enough. I used one for the first time last weekend. First fish was 3 pounds and destroyed the frog. The body slid up my line, second fish was about 1.5 pounds and did they same thing. Thats alot of money for 1 fosh to ruin a bait.
    I don’t think that’s the problem. It’s not like I fought them for a bit and then they came off. After the hookset, I never felt them. Several times the frog came flying back at me after the hookset.

Regarding the frog sliding up your line, I’ve had other frogs do that and I just pull the hook back into the body and it’s fine. Is the Teckel built differently internally so that you can’t do that?

Rod tip up like with a buzzbait. Drop the rod tip when they eat it, reel up slack as you're dropping it and make sure you don't see your frog. Break their f'ing neck. Usually works for me!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    They just missed it. I’ve fished it twice now. Had 5 blow ups and caught 3. The two that missed, it just came flying back at me. The others got a half second wait and then a hard but not violent hook set. 50 lb braid. The fish were a 6.5, 3.0, and 2.0.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Member
    IME frog fishing over grass has a very low hookup percentage no matter what frog you're throwing. I'd say I have a 10% at best hook up ratio and I've tried a variety of frogs/belly colors to try to help but I don't notice a appreciable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    IME frog fishing over grass has a very low hookup percentage no matter what frog you're throwing. I'd say I have a 10% at best hook up ratio and I've tried a variety of frogs/belly colors to try to help but I don't notice a appreciable difference.
    You might have an equipment issue or something. That percentage is way low.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    You might have an equipment issue or something. That percentage is way low.
    Agree. I used to have a couple frogs where my hookup percentage was under 50%...I don't have them anymore. Comparing to the good hookup frogs it's pretty obvious why, usually a body that's cut strange for the hooks or is made of too stiff of a material. I also have got into the habit of CONSTANTLY telling myself "1 Mississippi" while I'm frog fishing to make sure to give the fish that "1 Mississippi" count to eat it when I get a strike before setting the hook. Especially if I've not fished a frog for a couple weeks, it's really easy for me to get too excited when I get a blowup. Not suggesting that's what's going on with the OP, just offering what I try to do.

I think that overall, keeping in mind that every day can be different, expecting a 75% hookup ratio on a hollow body frog is reasonable.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    I’m right at 10% with the Teckel. I went back out the day after I made this thread and got 5 more blowups and caught 1. Actually only hooked 1 other and it jumped off on the way back to my inflatable. It was at least 3-4 lbs and I think my problem with that one was that I couldn’t get enough power on my hookset due to being on an inflatable pontoon. I hooked him and tried cranking him in hard like I do in a regular boat and just couldn’t get any real power behind it. I think most of the other 5 bites just missed the bait and rolled behind it.

The problem is that they won’t hit a regular frog walking. It’s only the Teckel that’s getting bit.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I don’t think that’s the problem. It’s not like I fought them for a bit and then they came off. After the hookset, I never felt them. Several times the frog came flying back at me after the hookset.

Regarding the frog sliding up your line, I’ve had other frogs do that and I just pull the hook back into the body and it’s fine. Is the Teckel built differently internally so that you can’t do that?
    If the frog flew at you then your hitting them way too soon, they need to go down with it same as any frog or floating bait preferably, if your reeling it tight line then hold your arms in close to your body as possible and rod tip up or out to the side and when they hit it straighten your arms and point the rod at them.... to give slack and then after 3 seconds reel up the slack and set the hook.

If they miss the frog then it isnt going down and there is no hook set for me, its still sitting there.

Also open up the hooks with some pliers a little.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I think my problem with that one was that I couldn’t get enough power on my hookset due to being on an inflatable pontoon.
    That's your problem. Same goes with a kayak. You just don't get the leverage you need from a watercraft that is unstable and moves on the hookset. Also, being low to the water inhibits a strong hookset.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

12. Hagen
    Booyah has made a copy of this that you might try. Haven't thrown one yet myself
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    That's your problem. Same goes with a kayak. You just don't get the leverage you need from a watercraft that is unstable and moves on the hookset. Also, being low to the water inhibits a strong hookset.
    Totally agree that not having a solid base to set from costs you when frog fishing.

Good calls above on the leverage on the hookset. Didn't even think about that! I know I didn't realize how I end up subconsciously steadying myself when I'm getting ready to set the hook on a frog fish until I was fishing with a buddy and he started making fun of me. Said he didn't have to watch or listen to my bait to know I had a bite as he knew when he saw me jump into a position that looked like a volleyball player being set up for a spike!

In any case, I'm sure most of us do something similar to get some leverage. I've never tried it, but imagine it would be very tough when on the water in an inflatable pontoon like that!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minnowlimo View Post
    Booyah has made a copy of this that you might try. Haven't thrown one yet myself
    Toad runner, I've thrown it and I'm not overly impressed with it. First fish was maybe two pounds and it tore it all up and haven't been able to get it back to "right" since. It's really bad about the body spinning instead of the tail because the line tie won't sit back in the way it came without pushing the hooks out too far away from the body of the frog.

Just saw the new frog video at Tactical Bassin. They recommend changing out the hooks. I think it was for 3/0 EWG, but that may be wrong.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassPundit View Post
    Just saw the new frog video at Tactical Bassin. They recommend changing out the hooks. I think it was for 3/0 EWG, but that may be wrong.
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to check that video out.