Question Intermittent beeping 225 EFI

Motor is a 1999 Mercury EFI 225 on a 1990 Mako 230. SN for motor is 0T0 76137

Wondering if I can get an idea of where to start on this one. Launched last weekend and moved boat to the dock. Started up and ran fine, idled 3/4 mile or so through no wake zone, then ran her up to about 4k for a mile or so. Back to the no wake zone for a 1/2 mile. About halfway through the no wake, the beeping came on. Not any pattern to it, like the 4 beeps from water in fuel or oil low, but a beep, pause, a couple beeps, pause, a beep. The pauses were anywhere from a few seconds to a minute apart but did not seem to be any pattern. The boat has the 4 light gauge, but it is in-operational.

Recent work was done to the cooling system, including t-stats, water pump. I installed brand new batteries this year as well.

From searching, it sounds like the cause could be a couple of things, what should I chase down first?

Sensor out of range - TPS?
    Temp sensor shorting?

Something else?

Thanks

2. Member
    Have the faults read.
    Check all throttle linkages.

3. Member
    Thanks - I don't believe there is any ability to read faults on this engine, being a 1999.

4. Member
    Sure there is.....DDT

5. Member
    Thanks Savage. I had been told by several folks there is very limited ability to pull anything off this engine. Nice to know that it is possible. Just have to find someone competent, I guess.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Given the description- it's likely intermittent. There is no such warning (at least not by design).

Don't overlook low oil level and WATER IN FUEL as potential causes (they are often intermittent as well).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Wanted to close the loops for now.

Found a copy of the service manual on line, and followed the directions to test the TPS and adjust the linkages. Throttle linkages were not fully opening, but now are. The TPS would not adjust per specs, after adjusting the linkages, so replaced it. Still had some beeps. Tested both temperature sensors, the head sensor was also out of range but the air sensor was fine. Replaced the head temp sensor.

As of now, all is well again. Thanks again for the help, both that given directly, and that which was given to others and found via searching.

8. Member
    had some beeping return. drained and replaced fuel filter - no water in it. Oil tank is full.

NOticed that the throttle cable has 1/4" of play at the engine where the threaded shaft enters the plastic housing. This seems to prevent full motion of the linkages. If the linkage is set so the idle stop is close, then it won't go full throttle, and if it is set to go to the full throttle stop, then it won't hit the idle stop. In either scenario, I can move it by hand to get to the linkage stops. Not sure if I'm just not adjusting it right, or that it is bad? Is any play here normal, or is that something that should tell me to replace the cables? I do not know their age, for all I know they could be original to the engine (1999).

Edit - existing cables seem to be Teleflex CC17920, cannot get into the control unit right now, as I don't have a deep socket with me needed to remove it.
    Last edited by nodima; 06-25-2018 at 07:13 AM.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you have a HOTFOOT?

If so- the problem is likely an adjustment there (ALWAYS set the idle stop FIRST).

Hotfoot Adjustment/Setup

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    No, there is no hotfoot on the boat.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You'll need to determine how much of the play is in the CABLE, and how much is in the control. VERY likely that you'll need to replace the cables (recommend the Mercury Cables- confirm your cable length is really 20').

If control is worn... it may also need to be replaced.

12. Member
    Thanks, I saw the play at the engine end of the cable. There is 1/4" of slop where the plastic shroud covers the metal tubing. So when the throttle is pushed as far as it can go, the linkages are not fully to the end, and I can the linkage so it is fully open, and when I do, the plastic shroud visibly moves along the tubing that 1/4". I have a set of Mercury cables coming tomorrow.