Question HARLEY ULTRA CLASSIC QUESTION (FLHTCUI)

I rode a Goldwing 30 years ago, touched all 4 corners plus Canada. At 78 now, I got the "itch" for another touring bike. Got the Harley, and this itch turned into a RASH. I cannot ride this due to the difference in balance. The engine makes it top heavy and hard to balance. Anybody have a suggestion on how to ride this thing other than to sell it.

Regards,

Rerun

2. Member
    You could try a lowered seat? A couple inches can make a difference.

With ALL respect, maybe archer not arrow. You’re 78 and the Wing was 30 years ago. Have had full dress bikes for 25yrs now. I’m 50 and know time will eventually catch me. Tell you this when the time comes no trike will satisfy. I’ll be thinking cont. Vette.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

4. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    You have the best bike made. That gold wing was 30 years ago. I agree, I think it’s the archer not the arrow. I have a 2017 road glide. Most well balanced and best handling bike I’ve ever owned.

5. Member
    Thanks y'all, I guess the time has come. Guess I'll try to sell it and retire. Already sold the Skeeter and guns, so one more is just another thing.

Don’t retire, just transition to something else. If you want a cycle look at a Silverwing or Burgman. Don’t knock them until you try them. They are fast, handle well and easy to get on. Wishing you all the best
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

7. Member
    Instead of selling, you could take an HD rider's class at the local dealership.

Your not imagining anything. I rode the Road Glide Ultra after riding many other brands and I will have to agree with you that they are top heavy. Not noticeable when riding but if your parking or taking a slow hard turn you WILL notice it. Out of everything I have ridden so far I will say the Victory Cross Country Tour edition was the most balanced with a low center of gravity. can pull it off the kick stand with one finger.
    Don't give up, Just find something easier to handle. The Ultra is a nice bike, but if you have issue handling it then the fun is gone...

9. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Your not imagining anything. I rode the Road Glide Ultra after riding many other brands and I will have to agree with you that they are top heavy. Not noticeable when riding but if your parking or taking a slow hard turn you WILL notice it. Out of everything I have ridden so far I will say the Victory Cross Country Tour edition was the most balanced with a low center of gravity. can pull it off the kick stand with one finger.
    Don't give up, Just find something easier to handle. The Ultra is a nice bike, but if you have issue handling it then the fun is gone...
    and this is why most police depts ride road kings? They are far from top heavy. If I wanted to I can turn sharp enough at slow speeds to drag the floor boards and crash bar no problem.

Good for you...

Best of luck and be careful!

Try a trike or can am. Maybe one of those sling shots.

Trade it for a TriGlide or a FreeWheeler at your local HD dealer.

14. Member
    I have a Honda Goldwing and a Harley Road King Classic. The Road King is a much lower profile and well handling bike. See if they have one of those to try out. I think you may be surprised. I have been riding since 17 years of age on street bikes and have owned several and the Road King Classic gets my vote for balance and handling. I have 159,000 miles riding experience at 66 years of age now.

15. Member
    Thanks again guys for the input, I guess I'm, just SOL until I find a buyer for this 97 Ultra. Every time I want to go the lake, I remember selling the Skeeter, and go in the garage and look at the next page. Gotta sell that too. Oh well, lunch time here.

16. Member
    You could have a trike conversion done to the bike so you will be able to handle it better. Another option is to look into a CanAm spider. Those things are super stable and unlike a typical trike they are virtually impossible to turn over. Remember you don't quit riding because you get old. You get old because you quit riding.

Quote Originally Posted by RERUN View Post
    Thanks again guys for the input, I guess I'm, just SOL until I find a buyer for this 97 Ultra. Every time I want to go the lake, I remember selling the Skeeter, and go in the garage and look at the next page. Gotta sell that too. Oh well, lunch time here.
    You don't quit, you down size. Two gentlemen in the club I fish are 97 and 95 years young. They fish out of a tracker.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

18. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar
    You might want to check out the Indian Roadmaster. I just came off of a Goldwing and you wouldn't believe the difference of the center of gravity. This bike is very nimble.

19. Member
    look at a midsize cruiser, Yamaha 1300 V Star Deluxe. has a fairing , windshield and hard painted bags. GPS and an play music thru it with phone or ipod. best part it about 125 lbs lighter with low seat height.