Does your G3 ride dry?

I have a 1757dlx, when I bought it, it had a 50hp on it. In whitecap's, your right side gets wet. I would trim it to different positions, same result.
    I've since swapped the 50 for a 25hp (wanting to more easily fish a hp restricted lake, and have money for electronics). Still get wet.
    Is this "how it is?" Am I doing something wrong?
    Other than that, I'm happy with it.

2. Member
    Hmmm I have a 1652 with no splashing issues at all when on plane, or not on plane.

How does your boat float without you in it? Mine. without me in it, definitely leans towards the stern when I check it at the dock. When I get in it, it must go down even more.

Then, to get up on plane, I tuck the tilt/trim in to first lower the bow, and then trim the bow up to run. I just tick it down a bit (to flatten her out) when I am running at full speed. Now, I haven't run into a lot of large waves where I use her (TVA river/lakes).

Is your water issue due to wind-blown spray?

3. Member
    Last time I checked, it sat pretty flat, without me in it. I weigh 180#. I'll try to remember to look the next time I go.
    This has been an ongoing thing. When I bought the boat, it had no storage, two batteries, a 50hp with pt/t. Same issue.
    I added storage and rod lockers, another battery. I've tried many configurations. Batteries front, rear, split between the front and rear. Gear also.
    Last fall I swapped the 50 for a 25hp, no pt/t. Again, tried multiple battery and tackle/gear storage configurations. Have tried all 5 trim positions on this engine.
    All of the above have yielded the same results.
    I've driven into waves at every angle, trying to figure this out.
    I do not believe it's due to wind blown spray.

The good news is, it's refreshing on a hot summer day!

4. Member
    re Refreshing...yes, I agree. Perhaps your whitecaps are just too tall for that size boat. I don't see much of that here.

I do know that a large number of fishermen add Lenco or Bennett tabs onto their boats. The tabs help in getting the boat up on plane, and more specifically to your issue, allows the captain to tilt his boat so that the windward side is higher and somewhat blocks the spray.

I've never done it myself. I have used Smart Tabs for smoothing out the ride and getting up on plane, but they are not individually adjustable under-way.

Is it possible that the additional weight and placement of that weight has simply made the boat too heavy? If it is plowing, then I guess the waves would be more of a problem??? I am 250 and have a lot of fishing gear along with me, and do not notice what you are describing.

5. Member
    Might have to save some pennies for trim tabs, give that a go, good idea.
    I had this problem before any of the additions.

6. Member
    I have a G3 Outfitter V170, (Aluminium)
    The only time I get wet is when I am quartering waves, hit the waves head on and I stay bone dry. Brilliant boat, I love it

7. Member
    I had a 16' v (do not remember the brand, I think it was an Indian name) bottom before this one. Very rarely got wet in it.

8. Member
    V's definitely cut the waves better than a semi-V or a flat front.

9. Member
    I had a Ranger Z20 before my 19dlx and, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure I have noticed it being any drier or wetter of a ride. I can tell you when you are unloading into whitecaps the back deck will get flooded on my G3 (with that flat transom) but that's probably the only wetter portion I've experienced on the water

I have a 2011 1860SC and can tell you it spears waves pretty bad if you don't drive it perfect. It's safe in big water, but with the weight forward design in some of these boats (fuel tank and 31 gallon livewell), there isn't a lot of give and the passenger can see some pretty good spray. Not an issue in the summer, but in the winter.... kind of sucks. Doesn't help that it's only like a 6 deg deadrise, so it isn't exactly cutting the wave to help at all.