Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    I have ran a couple TXP OT4 props and they run pretty well. Lots of lift and work well for me loaded. I ran a 28 to the limiter last summer with 1.75 gears to 90.3. Those props seem to run a little stiff in pitch compared to most props. They are a 14 3/8 diameter so on topend they seem a little less "locked in" compared to P4's and Promax props that I have ran.
    I think this sums it up well. I've ran other TXPs on other boats but this is the only prop I've ran on my xb-21 so far. It runs so good for what I do that I haven't took the time to try other props.

The hole shot is average. With 3 people, full load, full livewell, etc, it's a little slow but nothing that I feel isn't satisfactory.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSmile View Post
    I know this is a loaded thread, but does anyone know what the biggest number with a 250/xb21 is so far? Just curious if they will ever hit trips.
    This answer is going to blow some peoples minds, and there will probably be a lot of doubting and head shaking, but my first Allison Bassport had a 106 locked in as top speed on the Garmin. The previous owner bought the boat had the same 250 Pro XS on it from the day he bought it till I got it from him. When I questioned him about the max speed on the Garmin he was very reluctant to talk much about it. He said he and a friend had the boat set up with some none-stock accessories, including a different lower than the Sporty that was on it, and he said a lot of labor and money was involved. He said they had it lightened a great deal (GREAT DEAL to be emphasized here) and balanced with ballast, and ran like it was stolen. I know the man fairly well and I believe him to tell the truth but won't reveal who he is. He doesn't want anything to do with speed running anymore. I cannot tell you anything about his setup because he refuses to give that out for concern. But he is a extremely good boat driver and that is about all he did with that particular boat. Ran it and ran it some more, looking for max speed. His concern, and a legitimate one, is that somebody would get hurt trying to reach his crazy speeds after hearing of his runs. He said it was a very scary boat when he got it up to and around triples and he wouldn't do it again, and he was correct in saying not many people can handle a boat this big at those speeds without one mistake costing them dearly.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    I think this sums it up well. I've ran other TXPs on other boats but this is the only prop I've ran on my xb-21 so far. It runs so good for what I do that I haven't took the time to try other props.

The hole shot is average. With 3 people, full load, full livewell, etc, it's a little slow but nothing that I feel isn't satisfactory.
    If you ever get a chance to run a 27-28 Promax on your setup you might like it as well or better! I have yet to encounter a prop that produces great topend/holeshot that also handles a load any better. Any prop that is custom tuned for a specific rig can run pretty well but the OT4, and Promax out of the box have been good for me so far. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

4. BBC SPONSOR
    This Powell guy sounds like a real A-hole

I can carry myself, my partner, full fuel, full live well, 35+ rods, more tackle than 2 BPS and a Cabelas, tools, oil, spare prop, 112 Ultrex, and clothes/rain gear at 95-96 @ 6400 in 100 degree air.

Solo Top end....TBD but she has been 99.8 solo, full fuel, empty wells, 35+ rods, more tackle than 2 BPS and a Cabelas, tools, oil, spare prop, 112 Fortrex, and clothes/rain gear....this was at the Fastbass Rally on Pickwick.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    Somebody will bust trips in a Bassport Pro Elite this year. Too close to dialing them in. I won't unless I drop the poles. You other guys hurry up and get it done so I won't have to go through all that trouble! LOL

6. Member
    If you ever get a chance to run a 27-28 Promax on your setup you might like it as well or better! I have yet to encounter a prop that produces great topend/holeshot that also handles a load any better. Any prop that is custom tuned for a specific rig can run pretty well but the OT4, and Promax out of the box have been good for me so far. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Yes sir, I do need to run one.

7. Member
    Jay, did you run the 28 promax of Geoff's? If you did how did it perform on your rig with the 1.75 gears? I've been fishing with it, 87 keeping it off the limiter with 1.62's. Geoff said he was on the limiter also.

8. Member
    Yes sir, I do need to run one.
    Let me know when your ready, got a 27 promax worked by Matt in Texas. Takes my boat to 93. way too close to the limiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    Jay, did you run the 28 promax of Geoff's? If you did how did it perform on your rig with the 1.75 gears? I've been fishing with it, 87 keeping it off the limiter with 1.62's. Geoff said he was on the limiter also.
    Dean I never ran that prop. I did run a 27 of his that is a rocket on mine but early limiter issues keeps me in the 85/86 range lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

I so wanted that prop dean. Unfortunately it ran almost identical to my 26 on the top and a touch slower off the line compared to the 26 lab I bought with it. I think it needed a little tweaking to have it come alive for me. I’m happy it is working out for you. It hit the limiter at 87 for me. Based on testing with my 27 it’s seems to run under in pitch. Maybe when they labbed it they took away cup? You had a 34 that sounded fun and the rest is history. The 34 has been worked a few times for my boat now and picked up around 6mph for me.

As jay said I have the 27 now, but really want a 28 stock version to try. 27 leaves me wanting more on the top end, but for some strange reason it doesn’t hit the limiter. In limbo on if I should have it worked. Wish I had my 30 back as well.

I guess im a promax fan.

I did a 26p shootout last week with all my 26’s. The lab promax killed the field. Testing was with my load described earlier.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I so wanted that prop dean. Unfortunately it ran almost identical to my 26 on the top and a touch slower off the line compared to the 26 lab I bought with it. I think it needed a little tweaking to have it come alive for me. I’m happy it is working out for you. It hit the limiter at 87 for me. Based on testing with my 27 it’s seems to run under in pitch. Maybe when they labbed it they took away cup? You had a 34 that sounded fun and the rest is history. The 34 has been worked a few times for my boat now and picked up around 6mph for me.

As jay said I have the 27 now, but really want a 28 stock version to try. 27 leaves me wanting more on the top end, but for some strange reason it doesn’t hit the limiter. In limbo on if I should have it worked. Wish I had my 30 back as well.

I guess im a promax fan.

I did a 26p shootout last week with all my 26’s. The lab promax killed the field. Testing was with my load described earlier.
    Promax props seem good to me.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

12. Member
    On the Bullet side of things, my 27 pmax is the best prop so far from mid range to top end. It pulls hard and fast to the limiter BUT, holeshot is painfully slow when I add a partner plus water in the wells. Just me it does fine, spools to 5000 and gone. Add the tournament load and it just spins,spins,spins, feathering to keep it off the limiter. I stuck it back in the box and only use it when I'm by myself.

What motor and gears bamacj? With a 300 and 1.62’s I need 8 open holes. Jay and a 250 1.75, depending on set back, needs 4 and can run mostly plugged with less setback.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    Throw it in your truck next time you come down for lunch if you think about it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    What motor and gears bamacj? With a 300 and 1.62’s I need 8 open holes. Jay and a 250 1.75, depending on set back, needs 4 and can run mostly plugged with less setback.
    300/1.62.

16. Member
    That would be a long drive for lunch.
    It appears that the 28 is consistent as Geoff and I have both ran the same speed on the limiter.
    Throw it in your truck next time you come down for lunch if you think about it.

17. Member
    That would be a long drive for lunch.
    It appears that the 28 is consistent as Geoff and I have both ran the same speed on the limiter.
    Ha! Yes you're right, I meant to quote bamacj, we live about 1.5 hours apart and have lunch from time to time when he comes to Mobile.

18. Member
    Went back and looked at some of my testing and this stock 28 promax runs the same as a worked 26 bravo 1 I used to have. That tells me that when I put the 1.75 case back on it will be a jack rabbit to low 80's on the limiter.

I run consistently 77-78 heavily loaded. 2 poles, lots of tackle and 30 or more rods for me and my son. Both of us 215+.
    250 Pro xs with 28 bravo at 5900. 29 bravo is slower??!!! Same hole shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12