Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is the Evinrude E-TEC H.O. G2's (225/250) really superior to Mercury and Yamaha...?

Is the Evinrude E-TEC H.O. G2's (225/250) really superior to Mercury and Yamaha...? Would appreciate some input before making my purchase of a newer Bass Boat. Thanks and Godspeed. ><>
    Timothy D. Oliver, Director
    CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS MINISTRIES
    ><((((*>

2. Member
    Yes it is, all you need to do is contact FLW pro Randy Haynes and he will give you all the information you need. JK

oh boy

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I wish it was so simple, but “superior” is perhaps too broad a term to be answered definitively. The G2 has unique engineering, including some features that most competitors (if any) do not have. Evidence also suggests that it is best in class in some performance areas, and near the top in several others. Frankly, I consider top end speed the least significant area of competitive advantage for this engine. They are fast enough, but much more so they are quick! Outstanding low and mid-range. As you would do when buying a car or truck, research each characteristic of the engine that is important to you, and make your overall judgment based on that checklist.

P.S. I agree with the “oh boy.” Ford vs. Chevy seldom ends well here.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    It is revolutionary in several ways. Most importantly by having the exhaust ports on the none thrust side of the cylinder. It is a larger displacement two stroke that is relatively clean compared to previous designs. When scaling for potential by design it is actually the largest displacement outboard for our use. Unfortunately the EPA which is 90% a revenue collecting agency will put and end to it. In simple terms companies that produce products have to lobby to keep the current standards. Now that Rude is the outlier they will pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by TDOSoldier View Post
    Is the Evinrude E-TEC H.O. G2's (225/250) really superior to Mercury and Yamaha...? Would appreciate some input before making my purchase of a newer Bass Boat. Thanks and Godspeed. ><>

6. Member
    Fitch was also supposed to be better. It drove them bankrupt. None if us know the answer and won't for several years, after it has proven, or disproven itself.

7. Member
    Thanks for the input thus far. All but one of my boats in the past had Mercury and I never had any big problems. But I found a really nice older Stratos (composite) with a 2015 E-TEC H.O. G2 with low hours. My choice would be a newer Triton TRX 21, but $$$$
    Timothy D. Oliver, Director
    CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS MINISTRIES
    ><((((*>

8. Member

9. Member
    ALL engines have pluses and negatives. You have to decide for yourself if the positives outweigh the negatives.

On the G2 the positives are:
    killer torque which gives you a great holeshot for the HP
    good overall speed. Don't know about the new 8cylinder mercy yet but as fast as the all others
    the emissions are equal to or better than the 4 strokes.
    The engine seems to be holding up. Bass anglers are tough on engines and not hearing a high % of complaints.
    Maintenance is lower than all others
    standard 87 octane fuel
    5 yr warranted most if us have 8 or 10 due to promotion free
    easy break in
    significant tech

the negatives:
    I think on a per hp basis it is the most expensive engine but comes standard with significant features.
    You buy expensive oil which adds about $0.52 per gallon to the overall fuel price.
    Everyone will remind you of the Fichte debacle of 1998-2000 but forget about optipop and corrosion of Yamaha exhausts.
    Significant tech that after 3 years people think hasn't proved itself

i would own a merc except the local dealer sucks. Yamaha nope do not like the design and the performance is not there

i don't like 4 strokes due to fuel bypassing rings and contamination of oil. I fish 90% small lakes and just don't run it enough to seat the rings so I would have to change oil every 20 hours. For me 2 stroke evinrude works best.

Whatever you you choose keep your linds tight and thumbs sore.
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

10. Member
    if my bad 18 year oil ficht would hurry up and die, I would have one asap!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    Well. As of the last few weeks it is the best 2 stroke on the market. The 2 stroke market will die once evinrude sees the light.

12. Banned
    Go try one....then decide....for now I am convinced

13. Member
    No regrets.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

14. Member
    Well, pretty much the entire industry is going all four stroke you do the math

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TDOSoldier View Post
    Not sure,........but Suzuki’s are!

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Fitch was also supposed to be better. It drove them bankrupt. None if us know the answer and won't for several years, after it has proven, or disproven itself.
    Hate to disagree with you John but George Soros raped the company's assets, OMC had their fingers in too many pies. They were involved with everything from lawnmowers to snowmobiles to the OMC boat group. If Brunswick hadn't bought Merc they may have been gone too. A lot of folks forget there was a Class action lawsuit brought against Mercury Marine by owners of the first Opti's that popped just after their warranties expired.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    Well, pretty much the entire industry is going all four stroke you do the math
    90% of outboard marketing is aimed at the grin and wave crowd. If you take your boat out twice a year and don’t want to think about it in between, you had better have an outboard that only requires you to gas it up...in between dealer oil changes. After a decade of hype on 4 strokes, the only inarguable advantage is public perception that they are maintenance-free.

18. Member
    the new 4 strokes have LOTS of small moving parts!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I'm just glad we're to a point where they are all decent motors. We have several good motor options to choose from......If possible drive all 3 then make your decision. I know one stands out over the other to me, I've yet to see or drive the new Merc but it should be a great motor too.

20. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    I'm just glad we're to a point where they are all decent motors. We have several good motor options to choose from......If possible drive all 3 then make your decision. I know one stands out over the other to me, I've yet to see or drive the new Merc but it should be a great motor too.
    Super sensible. I’d rather pay someone 100 bucks for a boat ride than struggle and second-guess myself for months over a motor decision. Performance, warranty, and reputation (recent, from actual owners) are important selection criteria, but do not overlook dealer support.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast