Breakers between batteries?

Does BCB still use breakers between each of the batteries? My Jag runs a 3-battery, 36 volt system with 3 40 amp breakers and I need to replace the jumpers wires between each battery. Just wondering if all I really need is a breaker between the last battery and the bow panel.

2. Member
    Not sure which model you are running, but it doesn't appear that Minn Kota requires them, but I think having them between batteries would provide additional protection.
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppo...on-and-rigging
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/sites...olt_series.pdf

3. Member
    Basscat has always put breakers in the jumpers as well as other "high end" manufacturers. I'm not sure if it's a coast guard reg or just something that is done. Since it is a series connection, the only breaker needed is the one on the positive wire feeding the trolling motor -- however, if there is two positive wires feeding the trolling motor (as in a 12/24 or 24/36V system) each positive wire would require a breaker. Breakers are not needed in the jumper wires.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Kinda what I was thinking, John. There's just one + running to the front. Thanks. Also, what is considered standard for the breakers nowadays? 40 amp or 50 amp on a 36v 100+ lb trolling motor (Motorguide actually)

5. Banned
    This is why you use breakers. I am betting some serious damage would have occurred without a breaker. I use 50 amp breakers personally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We have always used breakers, and most jumper wires from trolling motor companies also come with breakers. They did not always come with breakers from trolling motor companies, that was newer in response to issues they’ve seen after not providing those. Incidents including a couple of well known professional anglers and television personalities that burned the back of their boats while on the water.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    This is why you use breakers. I am betting some serious damage would have occurred without a breaker. I use 50 amp breakers personally.
    Not sure what post I'm looking at, but unless that is attached to the ground side of the battery in some way/shape/form it would be a non-event. A fiberglass boat doesn't carry a ground. If there is a ground wire running next to that wire in the same shape -- different story, but even with that, one breaker would have tripped if it shorted.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We have always used breakers, and most jumper wires from trolling motor companies also come with breakers. They did not always come with breakers from trolling motor companies, that was newer in response to issues they’ve seen after not providing those. Incidents including a couple of well known professional anglers and television personalities that burned the back of their boats while on the water.
    I saw a video just this morning, Scott Martin had a loose set of jumper wires burn up the back of his boat. Reminded me to do a good check on my stuff. Low and behold my fire extinguisher was missing! Or I never put one in this year! I now have 2.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

9. Banned
    He had a set up jumper cables back there that were not secure, bridged the batteries and that is what caused all the smoke. Bad idea.

10. Member
    Just a reminder to not put/store anything metal in the bilge area -- including, and I see it often, dip nets.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

As an update to the original post, I decided to stick with the breaker setup that BCB prefers. Will be putting in some new jumpers between the batteries, as they seemed a bit undersized to me, with all new 40 amp breakers with covers. All the other breakers from the cranking battery are being replaced also due to age and corrosion.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cd4th View Post
    As an update to the original post, I decided to stick with the breaker setup that BCB prefers. Will be putting in some new jumpers between the batteries, as they seemed a bit undersized to me, with all new 40 amp breakers with covers. All the other breakers from the cranking battery are being replaced also due to age and corrosion.
    Which 36V trolling motor do you have. If it's a Motorguide, you'll be OK with 40's. If it's a MinnKota, you need a least a 50 and a 60 would be better on the 6ga wires. Remember, no matter how many breakers you have, only the "weakest" one will trip. The others are "just connections".
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Running a MG tour. It's only ever tripped a breaker one time since I've owned it, and that was due to running it on high bypass for a long run. Just figured it was time to "update" them.

14. Member
    I removed the breaker on my jumper between my two deep cycle batteries. To me, it is just another point for possible electrical failure. I just have the one breaker on the positive wire leading to the troller.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

15. Member
    I know this is only my 2nd post but I do know a lot about DC current. Batteries can short not to mention other things that can happen causing a short to ground. You're looking at a potential short of hundreds of amps if one battery goes to ground. Instant fire. Breakers between jumpers absolutely.

Finished up putting in new breakers and cables between batteries this morning. I think the new ones (top) should work a bit better than the old ones (bottom).

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatbryan View Post
    I know this is only my 2nd post but I do know a lot about DC current. Batteries can short not to mention other things that can happen causing a short to ground. You're looking at a potential short of hundreds of amps if one battery goes to ground. Instant fire. Breakers between jumpers absolutely.
    If you know a lot about DC current, then you know parallel and series circuits. This would allow me to assume that you know that in a series circuit, it doesnt' make any difference where the short happens since it's a continuous "loop", it will, if the breaker is sufficient for the wiring, throw the breaker. Using multiple breaker is OK, however, the weakest breaker is the one that is going to trip and that is not necessarily the one closest to the short.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

18. Member
    Agreed.. Series current is constant as determined by I=V/R so yes the weakest breaker will throw first. There is always the chance though very slim that a battery can separate from the circuit. Maybe you forgot to strap it down and a battery gets thrown out of the battery holder in rough water and a jumper breaks loose. Not likely but conceivable. I wasn't calling you out. I didn't see you're earlier post. I see it as redundancy to cover the outside chance of something happening you don't expect.
    Last edited by basscatbryan; 06-18-2018 at 07:24 PM.