Hydraulic jack plate problems

So while fishing Saturday my jack plate decided to quit working. I can hear the motor running but nothing happens. The jackplate is halfway up and won’t move. This is my first hydraulic jack plate so any advice on where to start would be great. Thanks in advance!!

2. Member
    What kind?

3. Member
    Atlas

4. Member
    Check relays first rule that out... is it under warranty?

5. Member
    No I bought the boat used. I will checknrelays though I don’t think that’s what it is. Right before it quit working it was moving extremely slow before it just stopped. Is there a resivior for fluid? If there is, is it common to lose or run low on fluid? I am also afraid the jack plate will need to be in it’s lowest position and I’m not real sure how to get it there.

6. Member
    This is on a 2011 ranger z521

Welcom aboard.
    You May be low on fluid. Not sure where but I'm sure there a Reservoir somewhere.
    Nobody can help this guy ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

8. Member
    There is a plug on the bottom of unit. You can check that. I learned the hard way to silicone the top where wores go into unit. If water gets in them they slowly rust and quit. I had a alternator shop cleanthe last 2 i had. They worked pretty good after tht. They were 50$ to clean. It can only be a couple hings. Either relays are bad, low of fluid or your actuator is out. I hope this helps. Lota of good info here.

Quote Originally Posted by BandBC10 View Post
    I can hear the motor running but nothing happens.
    If the pump motor is running, it ain't the relays.

10. Member
    Look at your fluid.... my cmc recently did that where i heard the pump running and it was out of fluid.

11. Member
    That’s good to hear. I was going to look at it Saturday but ended up being busy all weekend. I am going to look into this week. I keep the boat in storage so I don’t have it with me at the moment. So the resivoir, is it in the boat or is it located on the jackplate itself?

12. Member
    google the jack plate you should be able to find a schematic for it somewhere.

13. Member
    I need to try that again. I wasn’t having much luck the first time I looked.

14. Member
    So turns out it’s a bobs jack plate. The resivior is full of fluid. Jack plate will move about half an inch in either direction and then it stops. The hydraulic hoses are not in the best shape. I’m wondering if one or both haven’t collapsed internally. I’m going to have a couple made this afternoon and throw them on. I’m also going to grease the thing up really good, hopefully that will get me back on the water. I’ve only got to go out once this year so far, my wife got me a new rod and reel for Father’s Day and she is telling me to go fishing tomorrow!!! I can’t disobey the bosses orders so I hope this works. Not sure what else it could be if this doesn’t work.

15. Member
    Well I have determined it is the pump that is not working properly. New hoses installed and greases. Hit the switch, it ran and ran and would only go up intermittently. I bled the system tried several more times, I could hear the pump struggling. So, new question is do I rebuild or have someone rebuild it, or go for the new pump as they have updated to larger solenoids that would come with the new one?

16. BBC SPONSOR
    ^Sorry to hear you are having issues with your jack plate. We do sell replacement parts in various ways : https://bobsmachine.com/product-cate...s-accessories/

If unsure, please give our tech support line a call : 813-247-7040 and we'll help diagnose the issue and get it corrected ASAP!

But sure to use discount code : BBC to save a little bit too
    Bob's Machine - Action Series Jack Plates - DeckPlugs - DeckSavers - QuickSlip - The Big D Trolling motor handle - Much more!
    www.bobsmachine.com