Fuel pulse pump and reeds

Engine is a 2003 Opti 225. Been chasing fuel starvation problems for over a month. I have discovered that the pulse pump pressure port coming from the #2 cylinder crank case puts out hardly any noticeable air pulse, while the other( -#6) is strong every stroke. Cylinder Compression are good. Is this definitely a failed reed valve. I tried inspection with a mirror through throttle body and didn’t see any broken reeds, but I don’t know what else could cause a lack of pressure in part of the crankcase other than failed reeds. Any other causes of lost crank case pressure or things to check? Should I pull the air inlet for closer inspection? Thanks for reading. I’ve learned a lot from reading through posts on this site. Unfortunately I can’t find anything about no pulses coming from crankcase fitting.

2. Member
    Actually see this probably should be posted in 3.0 section. Not sure if I can move it. S/n is ot701189

Quote Originally Posted by Lhaney1 View Post
    Engine is a 2003 Opti 225. Been chasing fuel starvation problems for over a month. I have discovered that the pulse pump pressure port coming from the #2 cylinder crank case puts out hardly any noticeable air pulse, while the other( -#6) is strong every stroke. Cylinder Compression are good. Is this definitely a failed reed valve. I tried inspection with a mirror through throttle body and didn’t see any broken reeds, but I don’t know what else could cause a lack of pressure in part of the crankcase other than failed reeds. Any other causes of lost crank case pressure or things to check? Should I pull the air inlet for closer inspection? Thanks for reading. I’ve learned a lot from reading through posts on this site. Unfortunately I can’t find anything about no pulses coming from crankcase fitting.
    Explain why you believe you have a starvation problem. Does it die at idle, Do you have to pump the bulb to keep it running or loss of power at high RPM
    Do you have a oil leak coming from under the flywheel?
    I would use a dual vacuum/pressure gauge to test and compare to the good cylinder, also check line and fitting for obstructions
    I would think you would have a poor idle and poor throttle response if it were a reed
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Explain why you believe you have a starvation problem. Does it die at idle, Do you have to pump the bulb to keep it running or loss of power at high RPM
    Do you have a oil leak coming from under the flywheel?
    I would use a dual vacuum/pressure gauge to test and compare to the good cylinder, also check line and fitting for obstructions
    I would think you would have a poor idle and poor throttle response if it were a reed
    Yes it dies at idle and when I check the vst and it’s practically empty. Yes it will stay running if I pump the ball. I haven’t ran to high rpm since this happens. The difference in air pulses is extremely noticeable and I can’t find what the pressure /vacuum should be anyway. Idle seemed fine 580+\- 20 rpm. Throttle response doesn’t have a hiccup on the hose. Now that you said it I did notice some sludgey oil spots on top of the air intake housing last night. What does this mean?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhaney1 View Post
    Actually see this probably should be posted in 3.0 section. Not sure if I can move it. S/n is ot701189
    correct
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    correct
    yea first time posting. The “performance” part of the description is a lil misleading. And this sections says for stock motors...which mine is. My bad. Guessing it can’t be moved.

7. Member
    can but I cant do it just repost
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    can but I cant do it just repost
    Moved. Please see “no pressure to pulse pump” thread in 3.0 section

9. Member
    saw that