Very basic sidescan question

I'm trying to understand the shape of the sonar beam - how much of a gap directly below the boat/transducer is there with sidescan? Does the gap depend on water depth, with a wider gap in deeper water compared to shallow water?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I'm trying to understand the shape of the sonar beam - how much of a gap directly below the boat/transducer is there with sidescan? Does the gap depend on water depth, with a wider gap in deeper water compared to shallow water?
    This is correct.

3. Banned
    I think........ I haven't turned my structure scan on this spring.

4. Member
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

5. Member
    That is extremely helpful, thanks Ed. I thought that the water column information was a combination of what is directly below the boat and also out to the side for some distance, so that clears that up a lot. The image is basically only vertical water column below the boat and the bottom surface out for the range specified on the finder, correct?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    That is extremely helpful, thanks Ed. I thought that the water column information was a combination of what is directly below the boat and also out to the side for some distance, so that clears that up a lot. The image is basically only vertical water column below the boat and the bottom surface out for the range specified on the finder, correct?
    That's what I got out of it.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax