North Wind on Kentucky Lake

What makes a North wind so bad on Kentucky lake? Is it the current going against the wind? The forecast yesterday was 10 mph winds out of the north so I waited until 4 to put in hoping the main channel would die down. I was wrong. It wasn't the worst I have seen it, but I wasn't about to try it and break equipment. I know the lake runs north and south so the wind doesn't have a wind break out of the north, but a 10 mph south wind doesn't even compare to a north wind.

Wind blowing against the current. Current is flowing pretty fast right now, which makes things worse. The secondary channel is usually a little more calm in this situation.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    What makes a North wind so bad on Kentucky lake? Is it the current going against the wind? The forecast yesterday was 10 mph winds out of the north so I waited until 4 to put in hoping the main channel would die down. I was wrong. It wasn't the worst I have seen it, but I wasn't about to try it and break equipment. I know the lake runs north and south so the wind doesn't have a wind break out of the north, but a 10 mph south wind doesn't even compare to a north wind.
    You might try windalert.com to get a more accurate wind forecast....they were certainly calling for more than 10 mph nnw on Sunday and had been for 3 days prior.

4. Member
    It was hateful out there for sure

5. Member
    Going north was the worst