Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lake Erie Port Clinton Area

I'm heading up there on Wednesday and I'm bringing my boat. Never been before and planned on just fishing in the bays. Are any of them better than the others? Anyone know how the fishing is there right now? Thanks
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

2. Member
    Was there yesterday. We fished out in the lake though for smallies. Had a good day. The largemouth are biting good too in the Portage river or any of the harbors. West harbor has the most water to fish and has lots of fish in it.

3. Member
    Ok thank you very much. The videos I've watched on youtube I see most people idling around in the harbors. Are the Harbor's idle only? I don't have a map card for up there on my humminbirds so I don't know where I can run and not run. Is it shallow? Need to watch out for anything?
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    West Harbor is idle only, and East Harbor has idle only pretty much anywhere close to shore, but there are buoys to remind you. There also is a dredge line in East Harbor. Sandusky Bay is a larger area and has very little no-wake. Anywhere on Lake Erie or surrounding waters, the simple rule of thumb is that much rock and building rubble has been used to combat erosion, so you never, ever cut within 10-15 feet of a point, even a minor one, or that close to a shoreline. Standing timber is not a problem. Shallow? Depends on what you call shallow. Watch your depthfinder and don’t go less than 3 feet. There is one big sandbar in Sandusky Bay, over by Cedar Point, that could get you, but it has a large channel marker on it.... Most of the Harbor water is less than 7 feet, but since tons of that is no-wake, you have time to adjust if it starts getting really thin. The bottom in the harbors, other than right next to a break wall, is all mud.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Ok thank you very much for your help!!
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    West Harbor is idle only, and East Harbor has idle only pretty much anywhere close to shore, but there are buoys to remind you. There also is a dredge line in East Harbor. Sandusky Bay is a larger area and has very little no-wake. Anywhere on Lake Erie or surrounding waters, the simple rule of thumb is that much rock and building rubble has been used to combat erosion, so you never, ever cut within 10-15 feet of a point, even a minor one, or that close to a shoreline. Standing timber is not a problem. Shallow? Depends on what you call shallow. Watch your depthfinder and don’t go less than 3 feet. There is one big sandbar in Sandusky Bay, over by Cedar Point, that could get you, but it has a large channel marker on it.... Most of the Harbor water is less than 7 feet, but since tons of that is no-wake, you have time to adjust if it starts getting really thin. The bottom in the harbors, other than right next to a break wall, is all mud.
    I have fished a dredged canal in Sandusky Bay that was full of standing timber!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I have fished a dredged canal in Sandusky Bay that was full of standing timber!
    I know a canal that is full of old timbers from broken down docks, but that is the only kind of timber. And I hope the OP won’t be running at speed in a canal 100 yards long.

8. Member
    A canal that is 100 yards long? Um no. I will be idling.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

9. Member
    In Sandusky bay I will probably fish around Johnson Island. I've heard a lot about that place. And of course the surrounding places around it.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

10. Member
    I am headed up to this area next weekend. Was wondering if anyone could give an update on how their trip went. Unfortunately we are staying in Toledo. I have never fished the western part of the lake. We are probably going to drive back to the Port Clinton-West Harbor area to fish but if someone had some advice or knowledge of the Maumee River and the Ottawa River or how to catch smallmouth out in the lake I would greatly appreciate it.

11. Member
    My trip was awesome. John ( jc2bg above ) helped me greatly. I fished the west harbor 1 day and caught around 13 on a wacky rigged jackal flick shake worm. The rest of the time I fished east harbor and put in at east harbor state park. Caught 60 or more a day in there. All on a ned rig with a green pumpkin trd and the same wacky rigged worm. Just throw it around those rocky jettys that are everywhere in the harbors. I didn't go out into the main lake as the wind was blowing hard most days and that lake is so big it's a little intimidating. But I definitely will go back. Beautiful place.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

12. Member
    Thanks jusmangrum, I feel like I can catch largemouth in the harbors because that is fishing like we do here in the south. The NED rig has become very popular here too but I hadn't really considered fishing them there so thank you for that advice. We caught them good there last year on a drop shot with a morning dawn dream shot worm. Those northern fish fight hard but then I am sure you are used to those Carter's Lake spots.

13. Member
    Hahahaha I don't visit carters hardly at all. It's only 30 or 40 minutes from me but I don't care for it. I do fish Lanier often in the fall to springtime but I mainly go to lake Weiss which is the first lake in the coosa river chain. I do fish guntersville a little and Chickamaugua a lot. The east harbor with its grass everywhere reminds me a little of guntersville.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

14. Member
    How is the Harbors in the Portsge river? What is the Hadbor fishing like in the first of July?

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Portage River backwater areas fish much the same. But by July, the bite declines quite a bit, and the average fish gets much smaller. Lots of the better bass move out to the lake front to take advantage of plentiful forage out there. These better fish will bite out on the lake, too, but their bite window isn’t always easy to match up with, as they have a lot of food to choose from. Still can be a lot of fun in July, if you get an overcast day that keeps them active longer.

16. Member
    Do you guys that fish and know about east and west harbor think a RT178 could fish in the harbors safely. Living in Ohio I have been to the lake many times but never taken a boat, I am going to be camping at east or west harbor and was wondering if I should bring the boat.

You will have no issues in the harbors. A lot of no wake and protected.

18. Member
    Thank You.

19. Member
    Oh yea you will be fine in your boat in The harbors
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Portage River backwater areas fish much the same. But by July, the bite declines quite a bit, and the average fish gets much smaller. Lots of the better bass move out to the lake front to take advantage of plentiful forage out there. These better fish will bite out on the lake, too, but their bite window isn’t always easy to match up with, as they have a lot of food to choose from. Still can be a lot of fun in July, if you get an overcast day that keeps them active longer.
    If most of the fish will be out in the lake where would you suggest to start. I’ve never been to Erie and not sure what depth and area to target the smallish at that time of the year. I appreciate any help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast