Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Do you guys that fish and know about east and west harbor think a RT178 could fish in the harbors safely. Living in Ohio I have been to the lake many times but never taken a boat, I am going to be camping at east or west harbor and was wondering if I should bring the boat.
    Your boat is perfect for the harbors.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebass View Post
    If most of the fish will be out in the lake where would you suggest to start. I’ve never been to Erie and not sure what depth and area to target the smallish at that time of the year. I appreciate any help.
    Someone might dispute this, but for me, it’s pointless to try for smallmouth anywhere along the southern/western shoreline of Erie in the summer months. Sure, there are smallmouths there, but not in numbers, and probably transplants released at a tournament site (caught way out in the lake). Otherwise, fish any points or hard-bottom shorelines from 4 to 12 feet deep, especially if weeds are present, for largemouths. Points leading into harbors and backwater areas are especially productive, as these may be resident fish who spawn inside those areas during the spring. Current around harbor openings also creates an ideal forage situation for largemouth who position just inside the current break. And you do get an occasional smallmouth. When I target smallmouths in the summer, I am usually 10-25 miles offshore, and typically fishing 25-30 feet deep.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Your boat is perfect for the harbors.
    Absolutely, but just be cognizant of big boats if you venture out to the outer entrances of the harbors. When the yachts and walleye boats (we call them tuna boats) decide to come in for lunch, they don’t spare the horsepower, and you can get swamped when a huge rig shuts down 10 feet from you in a harbor entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Absolutely, but just be cognizant of big boats if you venture out to the outer entrances of the harbors. When the yachts and walleye boats (we call them tuna boats) decide to come in for lunch, they don’t spare the horsepower, and you can get swamped when a huge rig shuts down 10 feet from you in a harbor entrance.

Always fun at the mouth of east harbor

5. Member
    Thanks for the info on the dangers of fishing around the entrance of the harbors that is just the information I was looking for. I almost got swamped in a different boat in the connector between Barkley and Kentucky lake by a giant yacht and I will never forget that or the look on my wife's face when it happened, I am sure my face looked the same.

6. Member
    I fished Portage this weekend it sucked . Loaded up and went to east and did well

7. Member
    Fish the outside of the east harbor entrance, on both sides, and pick up 10 or so LM. When you decide to go into the harbor, swing wide out to sea about 1/2 mile and then cannon ball it in behind a tuna boat and you will be fine. Drop the TM about 45 yds in and fish the inside of the entrance and pick up another 1/2 doz. or so of LM. Have fun.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

8. Member
    It’s usually safe enough just inside the harbor entrance. Just outside the entrance is the roughest from a wake perspective. I was up there from 6/15 - 6/17 and took a good wake over the bow just outside of the west harbor entrance. If you go offshore watch out for the Jet Express. Had some fun dealing with those wakes that weekend.

9. Member
    I had a great trip up to Lake Erie. We caught a ton of largemouth. The mouths of East and West Harbor gave up several fish but not must size. The mouth of the harbor at Cedar Point had some good quality fish but they weren't there is great numbers. The best mouth by far was at Turtle Creek for numbers and size plus it had the least amount of boat traffic. But by far the best place for fish was the big bridge in the road going to Cedar Point. The boat traffic was busy but there were so many fish willing to bite almost any offering that it was worth fighting the traffic for it. The baits we used were medium running crankbaits in any color. We caught them using four different colors so color didn't matter much. A Mean Mouth pro rocker jig in whiskey craw color caught all the best quality fish and a drop shot rigged with Berkley twitch tail minnows. I can't wait till my next trip to Lake Erie in the Fall.

10. Member
    Where is turtle creek?
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

11. Member
    It is west of Port Clinton and the nuclear plant. There isn't much there to reference. We put in at a small ramp behind Wild Wings store and restaurant. The mouth of that harbor has a lot of small fish and a lot of big boats. "Tuna boats" as jc2bg called them.

12. Member
    Ok. I ask because when I go back I will try it.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

13. Member
    Great. I get to go up there so few times i don't mind telling exactly how and where I catch them. I like for everyone to have a good time and catch lots of fish.

14. Member
    Yea it's an awesome place.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Mouth lure Co. View Post
    Great. I get to go up there so few times i don't mind telling exactly how and where I catch them. I like for everyone to have a good time and catch lots of fish.
    Here's a tip. When you post exactly where and how you catch them. The next time you go here they won't be there anymore. A lot of guys read these posts and will beat the heck out of those spots.

16. Member
    Damn dude he was just being helpful for non locals.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eriedude View Post
    Here's a tip. When you post exactly where and how you catch them. The next time you go here they won't be there anymore. A lot of guys read these posts and will beat the heck out of those spots.
    There are fish coming and going everyday. Community holes are community holes because new fish move in and people can continue to catch them. If someone uses the info I provided and goes out and has a good day, I will be happy for them. There is a lot of water there and a lot of spots. I hope everyone catches a lot of fish and has a great time.

18. Member
    Thanks for sharing ur success

19. Member
    Just wanted to say thanks to the guys that told me my rt178 would work in some parts of the lakes with common sense. We stayed at East Harbor State Park and fished around the outside of harbor and went over and fished around Kellys Island with no problems, on the way over maybe 2 footers mostly normal driving on the way back more like 2- 3 footers so we went a little slower and never felt unsafe. We did catch walleye, sheep head, yellow perch and 1 smallmouth and had a lot of fun. Thinking about looking for a seasonal camp site in the future and a little bigger boat would also be good. I did see about 10 boats smaller than mine.

20. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Glad you had a good time. The water and air are so great up there, catching fish is a bonus. Many of the smaller boats you see around Kelley’s belong to residences on the island, or ride over on the ferry for the day. Other than that, there are some extremely crazy people in the world! Not a day goes by when I am fishing along the Erie shoreline that I don’t see people in a little bitty boat (powered by a 3 h.p. outboard) heading out into open water, not a life vest in sight. Things that make you go hmmmm.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 07-20-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast