Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Yeah, that's what I thought I understood the purpose to be. It was just weird how well I seemed to be getting the hook in them, but have so many coming off. With it being the first time using this type rod, and not having as many problems in the past, I was just wondering. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    This is the exact opposite of what is happening. The benefits of a parabolic rod is that it stays loaded when fish jump, shake their heads, or run to the boat. I faster rod will unload a lot faster and put slack in the line.

2. Member
    I had it wrenched down pretty tight. I started off barley being able to pull it with my fingers and tightened it some after I lost the first couple. I was pretty close to having the drag on a curado 50 locked down.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    If the fish pulled drag I'd say your drag is too loose to set the hook, especially if you're using a crankbait rod.

3. Member
    Try opening up the bite of the hook a touch. (point to shank)

4. Member
    Just throwing this one out there since no one has yet....sometimes sh!t just happens. I've gone a month without loosing a fish on a chatterbait, and then loose 3 in the same day with the exact same setup on the exact same lakes. All the tips you've gotten so far have been great, but i'd be a lot more concerned if this was you're 5th trip out with the same results.

5. Member
    Gotta be color is all I can say as that setup pretty spot on for catchin bigguns on a chatter.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

6. Member
    I just had the same issue tonight with 3 fish coming off. I was using a z man chatterbait with a zako on a Loomis 845cbr with 12lb fluro. Normally I’d used my 844 glx with braid but I thought I’d give a more moderate rod a chance since people seem to like it but I didn’t like it. Could be the zako getting in the way too.

7. Banned
    Dobyns 734 the glass rod for chatterbaits is hype man the only advantage is if you get bit at the boat if you get bit with a lot of line out your drag better be locked and have at least 20 pound fc or braid if you fish lighter line go with graphite

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxxlue View Post
    Dobyns 734 the glass rod for chatterbaits is hype man the only advantage is if you get bit at the boat if you get bit with a lot of line out your drag better be locked and have at least 20 pound fc or braid if you fish lighter line go with graphite
    The 734c is a fine chatterbait rod and I used one for years until I tried the 736cb. Far superior in my opinion and all the power you need for long or short striking fish.

9. Member
    The 736cb glass is much better than the 734c for chatterbaits. Any update on your results?
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    Use braid. 15-25# depending on thickness of cover

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12