Hatch lights suddenly don't work (none of them)

None of my hatch lights come on when I open them. My power switch on. All other lights work. Dash accessories work. Anyone have an easy solution from where to starts. My amount of issues is starting to become laughable. But I digress.

2. Member
    All the time? Mine have issues when I’m plugged into charger. Then they flicker or just don’t come on.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

3. Member
    Just started. No this has never happened.
    I just unplugged charger and tried still nothing. I'm pretty sure they always worked when charger plugged in though. But I did try just now to verify.

A 2017 should only have box light issues from about 3 places.

1. The switches are either bent (stem) or loose.

2. The switch is corroded from leaving it on and moisture on the switch.

3. Wires loose on connections or they are broken at mounting between small wires on the LED and 16 gauge in the boat.

Pretty simple as the processor turns power on when the switch signals ita box is open.

The Last we think would be a faulty dash assembly. That almost never happens on the ATen dash parts for the security, Acc and livewell pump out / pump in system panel.

The lights are in no way connected to the charger unless it low power and the charger solves that.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 06-03-2018 at 11:14 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    A 2017 should only have box light issues from about 3 places.

1. The switches are either bent (stem) or loose.

2. The switch is corroded from leaving it on and moisture on the switch.

3. Wires loose on connections or they are broken at mounting between small wires on the LED and 16 gauge in the boat.

Pretty simple as the processor turns power on when the switch signals ita box is open.

The Last we think would be a faulty dash assembly. That almost never happens on the ATen dash parts for the security, Acc and livewell pump out / pump in system panel.

The lights are in no way connected to the charger unless it low power and the charger solves that.
    I have been working under my dash to problem solve/fix some other issues unrelated to this. Right now everything on my main Aten dash panel works. Since all of the hatch lights don't work, I'm quite certain it's not a moisture issue. Where does this connect into the 16 gauge?

The light wire will match the switch light wire. We think white with red. Though we can’t recall exactly.

Is there a fuse panel or power buss somewhere under the console? Or is there one perhaps in the starboard side rod locker?
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

8. Member
    Yes switch wire ( i assume switch means the piece lid releases tp tirn on the light when you open it) and light wire are both black in starboard rod locker. But they're white and red then spliced to red in the biggest center tackle storage locker. There is no fuse panel or power buss in the starboard rod locker. If there is and i missed, then I forfeit everything I think I know. I've evem tried to lay down in there anc look. Just passing wires and the rod locker light ( that doesn't work). I see no fuse box under dash either.

The system is internally controlled automatically inside the dashes with thermal protection. This system has been used by BCB since 1993 on most models. All Premium models are non fused and internal protection. Only the efficiency priced tier are circuit breakers individually.

10. Banned
    2017 should still be under warranty I would think. If so take it to be repaired.

11. Member
    Kev are you leaving one of the lockers open? IIRC there is a timer that will time out. If so try closing all the lockers then open one to see if the light comes on. If you have one switch that is bad it can cause the timer to time out also.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

12. Member
    Dealing with same issue. BCB , if one compression switch is bad or does not have power do
    the lights in all the boxes stop working?
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

13. Member
    Ttt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shef View Post
    Kev are you leaving one of the lockers open? IIRC there is a timer that will time out. If so try closing all the lockers then open one to see if the light comes on. If you have one switch that is bad it can cause the timer to time out also.
    If a locker is left open too long, the system will turn power completely off. Cycling the main power switch in the cockpit should reset and power all the locker lights again.
    I'm not sure of warranty, but it is possible the dealer should handle it.

If a dealer isnt an option, I would check for power (to lights) at the A10 controler first. If you have no power at the red/white wire, the controller has failed. If you do have power, than there may be a loss of ground in the light system.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

15. Member
    I ended up having this original post issue fixed last summer while boat was at my local BassCat dealer having the trailer inspected. I mentioned the hatch light issue when dropping it off and they said it was an easy fix.

But months after that I remember not being able to set the security alarm (I had never tried to arm it previously) and learned it is related with these latch switches. My bilge latch switch was bent and had come unscrewed and wasn't making contact. I was able to get it tightened back down and straightened. I think that one gets bent on a lot of boats because of the removable latch built to make bilge work easier. But it's worth it imo. BassCat (the moderator here on BBC) helped me on private messaging to get the alarm to work after explaining how to check the hatch lights since they all must be working properly to use the security alarm.
    I never had any A10 issues that I know of. The dealer never gave me any paperwork regarding what I dropped the boat off for and only told me to come get it when I finally called. But the hatch lights were fixed

Sorry I never followed up on this thread from all that time ago. Suzuki has had me out of commission pretty much since right after this issue as they still do.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    If a locker is left open too long, the system will turn power completely off. Cycling the main power switch in the cockpit should reset and power all the locker lights again.
    I'm not sure of warranty, but it is possible the dealer should handle it.

If a dealer isnt an option, I would check for power (to lights) at the A10 controler first. If you have no power at the red/white wire, the controller has failed. If you do have power, than there may be a loss of ground in the light system.

Don
    Thanks.

So a bit ignorant here re: A10 and checking for power to lights. Are you saying if I unplug the A10 harness and check the red/white wire, which apparently manages the box lights? All my a10 functions are good. I have an extra going to try to swap.

Also when you mention loss of ground in light system do all the light switches have a ground...ie on mine there is a black wire with ring connector on the bottom of each switch?

17. Member
    Each hatch has it's own ground. Doubtful that it's your A10. I'm going to stop there and let someone more knowledgeable take over from there.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Each hatch has it's own ground. Doubtful that it's your A10. I'm going to stop there and let someone more knowledgeable take over from there.
    Thanks. BCB had suggested swapping the A10 since I mentioned that I had a spare. I did that and it did not fix the problem. I checked what I assume is each ground and they appear to be tight and in good order

19. Member
    I added to your post on the owners site.
    Each switch may have its own ground, but all grounds go to the battery. You cant ground to the glass.
    To add to my post on the owners site, run a ground wire directly from the battery to the starboard locker switch ground point. Just run it out the bilge to the locker. (Trouble shooting only)
    If the light works...its an open ground between either the switch and A10 or the A10 and terminal block.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs