Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRT600 View Post
    I'm going to try my fury but before the battery swap it has worse bow lift than the tempest. That's why I picked up the tempest.
    I dont think a Fury 3 will work as well as a tempest on that boat. I also believe that many would be happier with a four blade on that boat. If your numbers are accurate that is upward of 20% prop slip. Indicating a serious proplem with the prop or a issue with the running pad.
    How was RPM read, analog or smartcraft. Was speed read on GPS and was it verified by another GPS as well. I found out first hand that a GPS can be wrong. I had a Lowrance unit that was off by 10 MPH. I performed a master reset on the unit and that corrected it.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Member
    It's an analogue gauge which has been verified with laptop and gps was checked in the past. Was within .5mph of the other. Haven't checked it since tho. Was actually using my gps to check the other one haha.

If the bow isn't rising as it should tho would that not increase slip? If the bow rises more the prop may bit better.

For sure, I would try to borrow a known good prop preferably a four blade for now and see what the results are. Also take a long straight edge to the bottom of the pad and check for rockers an hooks.
    I recently helped a guy with a Ranger that had a very similar issue and his problem was he had mounted a skimmer transducer on the back of the pad almost directly in front of the lower unit. It disturbed the water flow enough he had almost the same issue has you describe including low water pressure at 3.5 P to P
    Look for any damage on the pad that may disturb that smooth flow to the prop.
    The trim extenders are a cheap diagnostic tool as well, as mentioned above.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Banned
    Going to chime in real fast. Now I could be completely wrong here but looking at that picture, there is no way that motor is trimmed all the way down, if that is what you are trying to display. It should be tucked in, if it were trimmed all the way in. Looks like it is still trimmed out as if you were going down the lake. Now I am using the memory of all the motors I have looked at when trimmed down.

5. Pat Goff
    Prop is 90% of your performance.
    Until it’s right nothing else will be right.
    Props are weird I’ve taken five new in box props and gotten five different results.
    Why master prop guys are so busy.
    That tempest is the correct wheel but it might need a living touch.

I’d try to find a known good one and see what happens. If you get an improvement then get yours worked. If
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Banned
    I understand what you are saying about the prop, look at the picture, that motor does not appear to be trimmed all the way down for blasting off. So if that very first thing is not correct how can anything else be. Understand what I am trying to say?

7. Member
    Motor is shown as trimmed WOT. Im trying to find another prop locally but its hard up here. Not a ton of boats that run a 25p prop. I tried the furry and no go. Tempest is better.

What gets me is the only thing that has changed is the weight out of the back. I seen 74.6 on gps with the fury, mind you the boat had little fuel in it etc. I went to the tempest as the fury sucked with a tournament load.

I was a diehard tempest guy until I had Ronnie Gilbert rework a Fury for my Cat, for my rig he increased the rake and totally changed the Cupping profile, His prop outperforms any reworked tempest I have used..Much better hole shot and requires less trim than the tempest, will also run a little higher than a stock Fury. Still more weight sensitive than a tempest but overall far superior

That said though I am not familiar with Nitros, but based on the weight difference and pad design I tend to think a Fury 4 or Trophy may be better for your boat

Cal him and talk to him about your rig, he is a great guy and will not BS you...……………...337 380 1437
    Ronnie Gilbert is well known for his high performance experience and being a Fury Guru
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    I think you have motor issues, maybe a coil went bad. Running on 5 cylinders. Happened to me once while trying to setup my boat. Drove me crazy till I figured it out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKE EFFECT View Post
    I think you have motor issues, maybe a coil went bad. Running on 5 cylinders. Happened to me once while trying to setup my boat. Drove me crazy till I figured it out.
    I was starting to think that but in a light chop today I ran 68mph@58-5900. I was having a hard time watching the rpm as I was watching for floating wood. There is no longer a rooster tail behind it when it's all out and trim all the way up.

I was starting to think that but in a light chop today I ran 68mph@58-5900. I was having a hard time watching the rpm as I was watching for floating wood. There is no longer a rooster tail behind it when it's all out and trim all the way up.
    Still 14% slip, depending on temp and load, I would consider the poor at best assuming the same prop as you indicated earlier. If every thing is the same as earlier I would think you have more than one problem part of being motor performance issue
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Still 14% slip, depending on temp and load, I would consider the poor at best assuming the same prop as you indicated earlier. If every thing is the same as earlier I would think you have more than one problem part of being motor performance issue
    I'm going to tinker with the setup this week. Got wedges on the way. I'm thinking it might have to be dropped 1 hole also.

Tonight when it was all out it would loose speed as soon as I touched the jackplate up.

If that's not it I'll have somebody come for a ride with me with a laptop... See if there's more going on.

I'm going to tinker with the setup this week. Got wedges on the way. I'm thinking it might have to be dropped 1 hole also.

Tonight when it was all out it would loose speed as soon as I touched the jackplate up.

If that's not it I'll have somebody come for a ride with me with a laptop... See if there's more going on.
    That would imply engine to high and/or to much trim
    If you have a big tall rooster tail wedges will just make it worse
    Are you absolutely positive about 4.5 in P to P
    It is hard to tell from that picture but it looks more like 3 in to me
    Did you use the checking procedure I posted earlier, if you did not I think you should do that first
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-23-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    That would imply engine to high and/or to much trim
    Are you absolutely positive about 4.5 in P to P
    It is hard to tell from that picture but it looks more like 3 in to me
    I've measured it multiple times and every time I've come up with 4 1/4-4 1/2. Before I drop it I'll verify with some help. It's kinda hard to hold my straight edge and measure at the same time. I'm pretty sure but I've been wrong before lol. I know at 1 point the motor was mounted way higher as the holes have the paint disturbed... The motor has 1 more hole to go down but I'm not even positive that it will work. Steering parts may be in the way.

I've measured it multiple times and every time I've come up with 4 1/4-4 1/2. Before I drop it I'll verify with some help. It's kinda hard to hold my straight edge and measure at the same time. I'm pretty sure but I've been wrong before lol. I know at 1 point the motor was mounted way higher as the holes have the paint disturbed... The motor has 1 more hole to go down but I'm not even positive that it will work. Steering parts may be in the way.
    If you are using a straight edge laid against the pad, be sure there is no hook at all on the rear of the pad it will throw you measurements way off also when doing it this way you will be checking from the top of the straight edge to the center of the cone with the trimmed neutral position, trim angle will change your readings as much as an inch. This is why I recommended leveling the pad and the cav plate and measuring from the ground
    Just mentioning things that I have experienced myself that can go wrong
    I have a really hard time believing that boat wont run right somewhere between 3.25 and 4.0
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    If you are using a straight edge laid against the pad, be sure there is no hook at all on the rear of the pad it will throw you measurements way off also when doing it this way you will be checking from the top of the straight edge to the center of the cone with the trimmed neutral position, trim angle will change your readings as much as an inch. This is why I recommended leveling the pad and the cav plate and measuring from the ground
    Just mentioning things that I have experienced myself that can go wrong
    I have a really hard time believing that boat wont run right somewhere between 3.25 and 4.0
    Would I be better with a flat edge on the ground, measure to the pad. Move tape over and ckeck my measurement that way?

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that explains this in detail. You must use a level to Get the angle of the pad the same as the floor you measure from and ttrim the motor so the cav plate has the same bubble position on the level. all three points must agree. Then measure the distance pad to floor, then pad to prop shaft. The difference is the the P to P
    Thank You Leon Pugh

i pulled my heavy bass gear out of the rear bins on my 2015 z8 250proxs and loaded light for muskies, and lost 3mph a couple weeks ago. verry odd
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

19. Member
    I would be thinking of lowering the motor. Your boat is sitting higher on the water than it has before. Thats the only change. Put 150lbs or whatever you saved in weight by going lithium and run it. It the speed comes back, there is your answer. Somehow you have to lower the prop deeper into the water for better bite. The set back mod that was mentioned may get the prop back into the center of the transom swell and get the prop to bite. Also the 4 blade option could help as they run up higher better. You definitely got a weirdo issue but if I had to guess, your too high.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    When I switch to lithiums I had to lower my motor height.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast