Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up Good News Update to: Bad day to be a Triton Owner

UPDATE: There is work a around to the issue. You have to get your dealer involved and work closely with them (Allow them time to work with TRITON). Also, there is still some parts available but hard to find. If it were me I would look now and stock up on a couple of things before they get harder to find, but they can be made and fixed. Again, just be patient with your dealer and let them do the leg work. Also, the folks at Triton helped make this issue a lot easier than it could have been. We have all had our share of bad customer service experiences but this one has been as pleasant as could be given the situation. If any of you ever find yourself in this situation shoot me a message and I will point you in the right direction as far a links to place that can help find parts and the dealer I use that helped me. I hope I never have an issue like this again but if I do I hope it is handled in the same manner this issue was handled.

Thanks Brad, Mark Huges, and Tri County Marine for all of the assistance in this matter.

So, I went to fish the Triton Owners Tournament and my boat had a major meltdown. It caught fire between the console and the bow with the wires somehow while I was fishing with no warning what so ever. I go to the service trailer where I am told they don't have time to look at it right now. He didn't either it was busy. So I called Brad with Triton and he came right over thinking he may have a harness and called Carroll to see how to fix it when he realized he didn't. She made him aware that there is no way to fix my 2013 21 HP elite boat as they do not make any parts for it any longer. In order to fix it, they will have to covert all wiring, computer, and dash to 2018 part and make it work/fit. SEE Updates above
    Last edited by chancey021; 06-08-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Another UPDATE

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chancey021 View Post
    So, I went to fish the Triton Owners Tournament and my boat had a major meltdown. It caught fire between the console and the bow with the wires somehow while I was fishing with no warning what so ever. I go to the service trailer where I am told they don't have time to look at it right now. He didn't either it was busy. So I called brad with Triton and he came over and called Carroll. She made him aware that there is no way to fix my 2013 21 HP elite boat as they do not make any parts for it any longer. In order to fix it, they will have to covert all wiring, computer, and dash to 2018 part and make it work/fit. Moral of the story to us Triton Owners, good luck getting parts now that they have been sold. Not sure how my insurance company idols going to have to handle this one.
    Sorry about the fire...……...…

What "computer" needs replaced? There is no computer in your console that must be replaced with a 2018.

My guess then is that insurance will total it out.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Sorry about the fire...……...…

What "computer" needs replaced? There is no computer in your console that must be replaced with a 2018.
    You are correct. Mine is a 2013, and it has a computer in the rod locker console side that is mounted against the console. That computer is no longer made. The manufacturer went out of business. The wiring harness, the computer, and the touch pad on the 2013 21 hp elite are no longer available anywhere. So in order to replace and repair my boat it has to be done by replacing all parts with 2018 parts. If I knew how to post a pic I would include a pic.

I have an elite too but do not have a computer in the rod locker.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

My 2013 21HP Elite has this control module in the storage just in front of the driver console. It works the push buttons as stated.
    /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.htc.sense.browser/files/TMP

7. Member
    It will not be an easy fix but it is repairable. Don't get too worked up over it. It sounds like the computer just controlled the switches.

What does this control module look like? Im sure I have one i just cant find it

Edit: I found a module in the battery compartment that says Omi bus digital power switching system. I looked on line and they are still around. Are yall that are in the 21 footers different?
    Last edited by Tim W; 06-04-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NKY TRITON View Post
    My 2013 21HP Elite has this control module in the storage just in front of the driver console. It works the push buttons as stated.
    Ahhh....a control module is a lot different than a computer.

10. Member
    In my 2012 21HP the Omi Bus module is mounted on the driver side in the battery compartment.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    It will not be an easy fix but it is repairable. Don't get too worked up over it. It sounds like the computer just controlled the switches.

No, it feeds the entire wiring harness network. It will not be easy or cheap. I'll let you all know what the quote and outcome is when I get answers later this week. It killed everything from the bow to the stern on driver console side and even killed the fuse in motor. It killed my cranking battery and my on board charger. I'll keep y'all informed.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Ahhh....a control module is a lot different than a computer.
    sorry for saying computer, just repeating what triton service trailer guy and parts dept people were calling it. They actually said the computer brains that operates everything in the boat.

13. Member
    Check out Greatlakesskipper.com. search Ranger Boats,scroll through the pages and you will find the touch Pads and Omni Bus.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/ranger...-panel-1971972

14. Banned
    Damn that sucks!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wise 1 View Post
    Check out Greatlakesskipper.com. search Ranger Boats,scroll through the pages and you will find the touch Pads and Omni Bus.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/ranger...-panel-1971972
    OK. This will not actually work on the Triton Boats. However there is a couple of these available online and I will add the link for reference. Hope this helps other owners. Just glad it happened where I was able to get help.

16. Banned
    Hire a skilled electrician, order mechanical switches, and rewire it old school. I wouldn't put another bus system in, there's no need.

But if your insurance wants to total the boat out, then let them. Then buy it back for a few thousand and fix it.

And while your at it, upgrade to smart craft gauges if they are not already on there.

17. Banned
    OP, why not post what was done? If there is a work around please share that info.

18. Member
    I do not know if I would own a boat with a touch pad and computer. Looks nice, but is a future ....expensive proposition if you intend to keep the rig long term. Give me simple switches.....easy to replace.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    OP, why not post what was done? If there is a work around please share that info.
    I plan on doing so as soon as work is complete and pick it upZ

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwell215 View Post
    Hire a skilled electrician, order mechanical switches, and rewire it old school. I wouldn't put another bus system in, there's no need.

But if your insurance wants to total the boat out, then let them. Then buy it back for a few thousand and fix it.

And while your at it, upgrade to smart craft gauges if they are not already on there.
    All, here is some pics of the deal my dealer had made for me. Had to work with insurance and the dealer. If it just goes bad leave insurance out and go straight to your dealer. It is not easy and. It super cheap but better than buying a new boat. Tight lines all.

I cant figure out how to add photos but it all looks like it did Day 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast