Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Retirement, Move to ??

Will be retiring in 83 days. Will be Moving to SC for good. We have looked in the Anderson/Seneca area for houses but never the Greenville area. What are anyone's thoughts on both Locations?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Greenville is booming and has become the cultural hub of the upstate. Downtown is safe to roam the streets at night and has a very active night life. The east side of Greenville and the south side (I-385) Simpsonville side are the desirable side of the city. To the north is Travelers Rest. Only drawback to Greenville is it a longer drive to the lakes that Anderson/Seneca area. Another alternative could be Pickens county (Powdersville/Easley) which are in close proximity to Greenville. Property taxes will be cheaper in Pickens county Vs. Greenville county.

3. Member
    Greenwood is awesome. The lake is a fantastic fishery. 40 mins to Hartwell, 30 mins Murray, 40 mins to Clark hill, hr to Marion. Just a solid center hub surrounding all of these Great Lakes.
    Last edited by Bowhuntercoop; 06-04-2018 at 08:41 PM.

4. Banned
    I just love the NW SC region, especially Seneca and Clemson. The area lakes are just great. The only down side to SC is incredible personal property taxes on boats and trailers. It is almost enough to make you move to Western NC, NE GA or better yet, East Tennessee.

We keep a fifth wheel trailer in a member owned campground in Helen, GA, and am familiar the entire area. Another favorite place is Hiawasse, GA, with the city on islands in the middle of Lake Chatuge. Just do yourself a favor and really checkout all the different towns in the different (close) states.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I just love the NW SC region, especially Seneca and Clemson. The area lakes are just great. The only down side to SC is incredible personal property taxes on boats and trailers.
    The rates and longevity of the taxes are on a county by county basis. Most boats aren't subject to property tax after 10 years of age depending on county. A plus is if you purchase a new or used vehicle your sales tax is limited to $300.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    A plus is if you purchase a new or used vehicle your sales tax is limited to $300.
    I think this law was changed.I think it might be $500.00 now.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yep looks like it changed last year Inky.

8. Banned
    Well, we will be down in Anderson from Sept 1-8th. If anyone has a few hours to show us around a little, I'm sure we can find a way to take you and your spouse out for a good steak at J Peters. ( I believe that is the name of the steak house. )

9. Member
    Personal property tax blows. I pay (spartanburg cty)....my 18 year old boat still costs me $200 a year. We pay over a thousand between our two vehicles and boat per year.(which is cheap compared to some people).

If you have a brand new truck and boat for example...your going to be at over 2000/yr.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

Use to run up I-85 from GA to a Campbells' soup factory with bulk tomato flavored flour lolo. been long ago now, and forget exit # but for a Huddle House just below Anderson area was decent eats, and early AM, was loaded with Bass Boats and guides. So I'm guessing that Road is a main drag to a Lake?

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    Use to run up I-85 from GA to a Campbells' soup factory with bulk tomato flavored flour lolo. been long ago now, and forget exit # but for a Huddle House just below Anderson area was decent eats, and early AM, was loaded with Bass Boats and guides. So I'm guessing that Road is a main drag to a Lake?
    Exit 14 SC 187 yep main drag to Hartwell.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadsc View Post
    Personal property tax blows. I pay (spartanburg cty)....my 18 year old boat still costs me $200 a year. We pay over a thousand between our two vehicles and boat per year.(which is cheap compared to some people).

If you have a brand new truck and boat for example...your going to be at over 2000/yr.
    If you itemize your Federal income tax you can deduct that. In Anderson county, boats/motors stop at 13 years old.

13. Banned
    High SC taxes makes living in Lavonia or Hartwell, Georgia an attractive place to live--on the west side of Lake Hartwell.
    Last edited by Bamaman; 06-11-2018 at 05:11 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadsc View Post

I live in Spartanburg Co as well . House (2700 sq ft . Built in 1972 ) taxes were $1177.00 last yr . Taxes on 2015 Skeeter ZX225 and Yamaha 225 SHO were $1420.00 last yr . Taxes on 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 are $ 523 .00 this yr . If u not rich , stay away from here .

15. Banned
    Moved down to Greenville area coming up on 3 years this July. 1st 6 months was in Walhalla, about an hour away, while our house was being built just outside of Greenville. Some of the personal property taxes are different, like on cars and boats but in comparison to the house property taxes in NJ, day and night.
    I'm from a small town in NJ in what used to be a very rural area. This was like coming home, except for distances. Compare miles to tens of miles.
    Something I do find peculiar is the lack of ponds and small rivers and no access to those you can find. Up north, most every bridge was an access point for shoreline or small craft. It's not like that in this area.

16. Banned
    Do you like Greenville better then Walhalla? What is the biggest difference between those two.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroVanDam View Post
    Do you like Greenville better then Walhalla? What is the biggest difference between those two.
    I'm in Taylors, which is sort of a rural suburb of Greenville. It's nice enough. Walhalla was like I died and went to Heaven. The middle of nowhere. Probably could have had my morning coffee in my birthday suit, had the mood struck. Only bad part for me at the time, couldn't find a place to fish. That was sort of on me though a bit too. The lakes were bigger than I felt comfortably fishing alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera61 View Post
    Moved down to Greenville area coming up on 3 years this July. 1st 6 months was in Walhalla, about an hour away, while our house was being built just outside of Greenville. Some of the personal property taxes are different, like on cars and boats but in comparison to the house property taxes in NJ, day and night.
    I'm from a small town in NJ in what used to be a very rural area. This was like coming home, except for distances. Compare miles to tens of miles.
    Something I do find peculiar is the lack of ponds and small rivers and no access to those you can find. Up north, most every bridge was an access point for shoreline or small craft. It's not like that in this area.
    I'm kicking around moving to SC when I retire. How do taxes compare to New Jersey? With our new governor it's only going to get worse.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

19. Banned
    You're right about NJ taxes being terrible and getting worse. We southerners just don't understand living somewhere with such high taxation. And we are used to a much higher standard of living for a much lower cost of living.

Don't just limit any house search to NW SC. You are just a short distance from NE GA, Western NC and E TN. They are all great places to live, and the mountains are just beautiful. Many outsiders don't realize how nice the societies are in this region. And Lake Hartwell is just an hour from the edge of Atlanta.

We just left our place in the Northeast Georgia Mountains going to our Tennessee River home. The Tennessee River has 650 miles of navigable water, and has cities both big and small. House prices and taxation is very low in Tennessee and Alabama as is the cost of living. Since my wife is disabled, we don't even have any Alabama city or county property taxes.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    I'm kicking around moving to SC when I retire. How do taxes compare to New Jersey? With our new governor it's only going to get worse.
    There are taxes but not like NJ. Some are spread out among things you didn't have in NJ. Car registration is a heavy tax down here. It's like a personal property tax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast