Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Johnny!

2. Member
    I have the same motor is 424811 the correct check valve,and do you just unscrew the old and screw in the new?

Quote Originally Posted by FISHON317 View Post
    I have the same motor is 424811 the correct check valve,and do you just unscrew the old and screw in the new?
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    that's for carb mtr 424811 is num ber you need/yes that's it
    Joe says it is and thats the one i have on the way! All it should take is unthreading old one and threading new one in. I will probably put some teflon tape to help seal it.

4. Member
    Can the lower check valve on the vast cause 1998200 EFI to be sluggish out of the hole?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHON317 View Post
    There's a little more to it, because the Oil Injection MUST be bled to remove AIR. Failure to do this can result in catastrophic engine failure!

Strongly suggest an OEM Mercury Service Manual before proceeding into this.

Note: Please remember- ONE engine only per thread, so as to avoid confusion and/or hi-jacking. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There's a little more to it, because the Oil Injection MUST be bled to remove AIR. Failure to do this can result in catastrophic engine failure!

Strongly suggest an OEM Mercury Service Manual before proceeding into this.

Note: Please remember- ONE engine only per thread, so as to avoid confusion and/or hi-jacking. Thanks!

I bled the air out with bleeder. It says in book if air bubbles are in pump discharge line run outboard till they disappear. I ran it for 15min at idle and would not get any higher than what's in picture. I did see small amounts of oil coming down the tube but it never got higher. I believe it's getting oil as the exhaust is still blue

Is this ok?

I put correct oil ratio in gas tank and by the time that gas was used up, the air in the line was gone and I could see the oil tank level was dropping. I had marked the oil tank in a couple of places for reference with a pencil or you can use a piece of tape. If you do it this way, you may have to change plugs due to the double oil.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

I usually run engine on a portable tank of premix- and "burp" the air from the oil delivery line (at it's highest connection point- the oil pump in this case).

Reconnect when air is gone- monitor for 2-3 minutes. If no further air develops, install clamps and switch back to normal fuel source.

Again: CAUTION. If you are not 110% certain in your ability to accurately and correctly service or bleed the oil injection, STOP AND GET ASSISTANCE FROM A WELL-QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

I usually run engine on a portable tank of premix- and "burp" the air from the oil delivery line (at it's highest connection point- the oil pump in this case).

Reconnect when air is gone- monitor for 2-3 minutes. If no further air develops, install clamps and switch back to normal fuel source.

Again: CAUTION. If you are not 110% certain in your ability to accurately and correctly service or bleed the oil injection, STOP AND GET ASSISTANCE FROM A WELL-QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN.
    So disconnect pump discharge at check valve. Run outboard on premix until entire line is full? Don't really have money for service tech but am pretty mechanically enclined. Just to verify that line should have no air in it?

Edit *should have said pretty not plenty
    Last edited by johnnybones; 06-22-2018 at 06:52 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Disconnecting the line at the check valve will INTRODUCE air into the line. Try the OTHER end (at the oil pump).

ZERO air (no bubbles) should be in that line.

You got this Johnny, he isnt questioning your ability, he is just making sure you understand the importance of getting air out and the damage that will occur if not. First priority is making sure motor is getting proper oil to the cylinders(remote tank), second is removing air from line.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haughton View Post
    I put correct oil ratio in gas tank and by the time that gas was used up, the air in the line was gone and I could see the oil tank level was dropping. I had marked the oil tank in a couple of places for reference with a pencil or you can use a piece of tape. If you do it this way, you may have to change plugs due to the double oil.
    + 2
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Okay thanks guys il try that!

OK what i did was fill the discharge line with oil. Ran outboard till i seen air in discharge line (the whole time had blue tint to exhaust) shut outboard off filled line up again. and repeated untill i was not seeing any air in the discharge line. I did notice the oil reservoir (on top of outboard) level drop as i ran it. Would you guys say im good now? There isn't any air in the discharge line. If im good i will take it out this weekend.

Also sorry for the post above i meant "pretty mechanically inclined" not plenty.

thank you all

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you run the engine for 5 minutes and no air or bubble develops in the oil pump discharge line, you have likely eliminated any concern of air.

Thank you all for the help. Finally got to put her in the water yesterday and she ran like a top!!

17. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Im back. So a couple weeks ago i took it to the shop because it would not stay running. They said that check valve was bad (yes the one i just ordered and installed) so they replaced it gave me a nice bill and sent me on my way. I got home to cowl off and noticed that the pump discharge line was only halfway full with oil. Checked it today and its still halfway (so no leaks right?). I was under the impression that there was not supposed to be any air in that line. The shop i took her too is a certified mercury mechanic and have been around for 30+ years. He had to have bled the system as i had taken the vst apart and had them put it back together. When i run the outboard at idle i can watch the oil drip into the line (kind of like an iv bag at the hospital) I plan on taking it out saturday (first time since repair) should i just fill the line with oil again or should i trust that they did it right and im good to go?

19. Member
    just mix your fuel tank 50:1 go run it

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would recommend following the correct procedures for bleeding the oil injection system, based on the engine (see above).

In regards to the check valve, all Mercury Parts and Accessories carry a 1-year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. If your local guy is a Mercury Dealer, he knows this (and should have asked for your receipt if you told him it had already been replaced with an OEM Mercury component)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12