Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

96 200 efi issue

OG362421 serial

OK now for the issue. Went out yesterday put boat in water it would crank and start then putter and die tried it 10+ times said screw it decided to fish. 1hr later tried it again same issue. I started it one last time and held throttle wide open it fired up and ran fine idled a cross the lake shut it down for about 2hrs had to do same thing to start it up blew tons of smoke and I was on my way. Went to powerload it on trailer hammered it it died once I let off throttle but started right up powered up and died again. What could be the issue. It did seem to be smoking more than usual. It started right up np today on muffs. I do have a new fuel filter coming and the plugs didn't look to bad.

Thank you

2. Member
    Fuel pump or fuel filter. Any alarms?

No alarms.....

4. Member
    sounds like ya got fuel leaking into crankcase, and or oil inj check valve sticking at vst allowing too much oil into vst also check pressure check vale for oil injection on stb side for restrict or stuck
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    sounds like ya got fuel leaking into crankcase, and or oil inj check valve sticking at vst allowing too much oil into vst also check pressure check vale for oil injection on stb side for restrict or stuck
    +1

How old are those "look ok" spark plugs?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

How old are those "look ok" spark plugs?

they are two years old and are a little oily

8. Member
    change um and repair rich condition
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to replace plugs as part of your Annual Maintenance, anyway.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Good idea to replace plugs as part of your Annual Maintenance, anyway.
    I will add that to my list of annuals. i was going to change every 3 years. Thank you.

I ordered the 2psi check valve but it was wrong. Is this the 2psi check that I am supposed to replace? Not sure why the pic is sideways

this is the one I ordered

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybones View Post
    this is the one I ordered
    that's for carb mtr 424811 is num ber you need/yes that's it

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    that's for carb mtr 424811 is num ber you need/yes that's it
    Thank you!

15. Member
    sho bones

I recently bought a 1998 Ranger R-91I with a 1998 200 EFI. It ran good the first several times out, but the last two times I had it out it has progressively run worse. It starts, idles fine, but it is slow coming out of the hole now, and it only runs 5000 rpm vice 6000 at WOT (when running good). It seems to be dropping a cylinder or two, and you can hear it when they kick in and out, at times. I suspect it’s the spark plugs.

I put an ignition tester between each spark plug and plug wire, and all six are getting spark.

I pulled all six plugs and they look identicle to the ones posted above, in this thread.

I just bought six plugs from my local Advance Auto parts store and will pick them up today on my way back from setting my crab pots in my Jon boat.

I'm going to take the Ranger out for the afternoon bite today, with new plugs and see if that fixes the performance issue.

My question is, where do I go to purchase the 2 PSI check valve for my oil injection? I’d like to get one on order, and I guess I should change the spin on fuel filter too, so I’m going to order both. I’m looking for PN’s and online supply sources from those in the know. Thanks everyone!

Ax

Got mine from boats.net
    https://www.boats.net/search?q=424811

The new spark plugs fixed my performance issue, my Merc is running like a champ, 65 MPH + @ 5700-5800 RPM. Now I need to determine whether or not I have another issue, like running rich? I haven’t owned the boat long, and the old plugs had corrosion on the exterior, so maybe all I needed was new plugs.

Ax

My motor looks looks like yours, in this picture. It looks like the check valve at the bottom is different that the one you ordered. Did you install the one that looks different? In the picture below it looks like it is attached with threads, and the one you ordered has a nipple on each end, meaning it is an in-line check valve.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybones View Post
    I ordered the 2psi check valve but it was wrong. Is this the 2psi check that I am supposed to replace? Not sure why the pic is sideways

I ordered the wrong one first. I have the threaded one coming and that's the part number I posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast