HOW HAS THE HIGH WATER EFFECETED FISHING ON YOUR LAKE

The last few weeks we have experienced and unusual amount of rain through out our state. Seem all the water has caused quick rise in lake level across the area. Thinking back we see this happen from time to time but usually only causing a brief day or two change in fishing conditions. Not many times do we have an extended and wide spread rain event that has/is effecting a larger geographic area of out state. So figured it would be a great time to share the ways our fishing techniques had to change (or not) to make our day on the lakes successful.
    list the #1=lake your fishing, technique you have been using to catch fish before the lake changed, then what changes in the lake (higher water, was it muddy or clear, not current or heavy current ect) next what adjustments were needed to get back on the fish.
    I think and hope this info we gather could help fellow members in the future.

MY experience,
    Lake Wylie, had been catching numbers of fish on lower lake, short points with 1.5 crankbaits and shakey head. next time I went the water had risen and was still clear on lower lake but had only one keep in 4 hr fishing had to change went up lake till got in dingy water switch to fishing spinnerbait in ends of the blow downs and skipping jig tight to pier poles & cover to catch fish, caught fewer fish than other trips but all were good keepers and seemed there was enough current and dingy conditions had made the fish in that area get tight to cover which enabled me to cove more water productively. ended up with 6 keeper apx 14lbs in 3hr fishing

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

2. Banned
    it's messing me up on High Rock. Can't get under Abbott's or Flat Swamp bridges. The lake is fishing very small.

3. Member
    I'm headed to Fontana tomorrow and will see what I can catch. The lake is almost down to its summer level of 1703 ft above sea level. It is currently 1704 ft, dropping a foot each day, from its high of 1708.8 at the end of last week. The winter drawdown is 1650 ft until early March, so we have come up almost 60 ft in 3 months.

4. Member
    Didn’t find a fish morning or afternoon on lanier.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

5. Member
    I fish the waccamaw river and lake waccamaw. Luckily lake waccamaw fishing rarely changes. Find brush out in the middle and find fish. BUT the river is another story. Water rose 7ft and finding the bank is impossible. I usually flip an pitch to laydowns and any brush on the deep water side in curvy sections of the river but with the rising water i had to start fishing coves and backwater run offs with spinner bsits and chatter baits to get bit. Had a fair day yesterday with 6 keepers from 11am till 4pm. Fish were suspending in the flooded bushes and reacted to the cb and sb. Never found a group of fish but did find certain stretches with more fish. River fishing during super high waters is hard. I have lived on the waccamaw for 28 years fishing it 2 to 4 times a week and i still struggle to find decent fish during these high water times. Then again the waccamaw river isnt known for much bass fishing so this scenario may be rare..lol

6. Member
    The water has been in the bushes on HR for more than a week and I've not found the fish using them to any great extent. The better fish have been off the ends of deeper docks and out places. So even thought the water is up, the fish are still following a typical post-spawn pattern.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

It's keeping everything dirty in the ICW and lower cape fear making it hard to find flounder and reds.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

I guess it’s helped. Caught 8.2, 7.90, 7.25, 6.85, and a bunch of fish over 5 in the last 2 weeks. They seem to be munching.
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi