1996 Johnson fast strike J150GLEDB

Well I’m looking for some help.. I bought this boat about 10 years ago. Very low hours. It been a great boat! When I got it I took it to my mechanic to look over it since it had been sitting in guys garage for several years. Cleaned all the carbs new water pump lower unit oil ect. Great compression! About 6 month after that power pack failure. Replaced it with optical eye and stator. Back in business. 5 years later VRO failed. Replaced it along with carb cleaning tune up ect. Three months ago starting running rough. Carbs cleaned general tune up. Last week went fishing motor cranked right off I ran across the lake and fished. Got ready to move and it would crank but would die when power applied. After 10 min it caught and would run great a cruise speed to wide open no issues. Stop to fish and if would not go again... Mechanic said it was my power pack.. replaced and test drove ran great. Went to go tubing. Ran great pulled the tube two hours! That includes shutting off to change riders. Then pull to shore to swim. Two hour of setting and same crap. Crank but would not go, die when power applied. After 10 min of trying. Motor caught. Ran it almost wide open two miles back to ramp never missed a lick. Stopped at ramp to load. Crank but dies when load is applied... help. I got fuel or it would not run wide open. I run XD50 marine stabil. And super unleaded.

2. Member
    I heard through a buddy this was the place to ask! Thanks in advance!!!

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Any alarms on you system check tach/gauge? Have the fuel lines been replaced from the tank to the motor along with primer bulb?

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply ChampioNman.. yes on the fuel lines all but the drops in the tanks. As far as the tach it’s has been acting weird reading high then low as it would normally like should be around 4000 but shows 6000 or the othe way low.. mechanic said the tach was going out. No alarms
    Last edited by Coolarrow2; 06-03-2018 at 11:28 AM.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Need to ask this question, do you have wing nuts on the cranking battery? If so replace them with stainless steel star washers and SS hex nuts, if you have a multi meter check the cranking battery before starting and then while running to see if the voltage on the battery increases. If not you may have a voltage regulator going out.

6. Member
    I don’t have wing nuts I have s/s nuts and lock washers. Voltage 12.4 voltage holds while cranking then raises to 14.4 I had the battery load tested. They said it’s good..

7. Member
    I’ve read on some post online about a vapor pump system might be causing the issue??? I am going to buy a manual I guess and start digging. Just hoping to get some insight from people who have seen this.

8. Member
    Same type of problem I am having. I am following this
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

9. Member
    I sure hope to get some insight. Got to be something common. I love my boat! 1996 Cajun 185 rajun Cajun. Fishes awesome. And way paid for! Just need it to run the way it has the last 10 years! Lol

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolarrow2 View Post
    I’ve read on some post online about a vapor pump system might be causing the issue??? I am going to buy a manual I guess and start digging. Just hoping to get some insight from people who have seen this.
    Get a real OMC service manual, not one of the junk ones. One can be downloaded, see the sticky at the top of the page. Do a search here on my posts, 316jughead, you will find all the info on "heat soak" that you will need. It's a long discussed subject here on the forum. Then you can ask questions, I will be glad to help. Your problem is probably the result of several wrong things adding up to the problem, not just one. This is providing that your stator is not the problem. Your correct about the VST and the little VST pump causing some of the problem, this is the most over looked part of the fuel system. Good for you on keeping the VRO.

11. Member
    Sounds like I got my work cut out. Just don't want to start parts changing. Ill get the shop manual and I'll keep reading. I want to understand the issue so I can trouble shoot it. I bought a new power pack last week because I was told that was the issue... now I got two and motor still dies. 200.00 wasted. Live and learn.

12. Member
    Yes, we don't want to throw parts on it. Most of us here will recommend BRP parts. Two things that I do different than the manual, Idle RPM around 800 RPM in forward gear in the water boat unrestrained and the idle orifice adjustment around 5 turns out to start with. It's much easier for us to trouble shoot if you have a manual and a understanding of your motor. ChampioNman is a good one he can help. I love your boat, my son in law has one, it's a very good ride. I still run my 1991 Cajun Pro Sport, with the 1991 150 Intruder, I like it.

13. Member
    Well I've been reading about heat soak for a day. Sounds like my problem to the t.. when I get back to the boat so I can work on it I'm going with the great advice from ChampioNman and 316Bighead. After I get rid of all the ethanol gas go through the carbs Ill see were I'm at and I'll let y'all know. Thanks guys!
    316Jughead. Oops it's the dang spell check on my kindle.... sorry
    Last edited by Coolarrow2; 06-05-2018 at 04:51 AM.

14. Member
    Sounds good. I have been called a lot of things, I earned my handle jughead. Right now I'm laughing so hard It's hard to type. I hope Bighead was a typo, but at times it could have been true. The guy's will get a kick out of this one. Thanks a lot!

15. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Bighead,,,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

16. Member
    Sorry.. lol yes it was a type o!! Sorry 316Bighead but you do have tons of great info Sir! Thanks

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolarrow2 View Post
    Sorry.. lol yes it was a type o!! Sorry 316Bighead but you do have tons of great info Sir! Thanks
    Thanks Hotarrow.

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Bighead,,,,,

19. Member
    Well got the boat back today. VRO gone replaced with regular fuel pumps. New power pack and eye. One of the plugs on the pack and the plug on the motor were bad. Burnt off little stud in the connector. New lower unit oil. And water pump. Ran great on the Dyno going to put it in the lake and burn some gas this weekend.

20. Member
    The VRO that I replaced was less than three years old .. would pump for a second and quit then pump and quit.. fuel pressure would go 0 then pump then 0. All this done now the pump bulb stays firm after I shut it down. Hope this is all the issues. Ill find out soon. Lol