Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2005 200HP OX66 fuel problem

turn key and start get up on plane get to about 3K rpms and the motor dies like I pulled the killswitch and the primer bulb (new) feels empty like there is no pressure in it. if I keep it below 3K rpms it will not die. I have done some research on here and it sounds like I may have some clogged filters and the O2 needs to be cleaned, opinions on what this could be. Any info or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Member
    Could be the LP pumps. If you’ve never done the fuel service, replace the on-board filter, LP pumps, HP filter, and plugs if they have not been changed recently. Could be the fuel lines breaking down too. Start with the fuel service since it should be done anyway.

3. Member
    What kind of primer bulb did you use? It sounds like a bad bulb or a fuel restriction before the bulb. The bulb should not be empty, but it also will not stay pumped hard since t is in the suction side.

4. Member
    What kind of primer bulb did you use? It sounds like a bad bulb or a fuel restriction before the bulb. The bulb should not be empty, but it also will not stay pumped hard since t is in the suction side.

5. Member
    I used a universal primer bulb from Academy for the time being. I need to check the line prior to the bulb.

I recently played this game with the same motor. Did the fuel system maintenance hp pumps, filters, o2 sensor, plugs and it would still randomly shut down. Wound up being the solenoid. Easy fix but expensive part

Rick Elrod

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodelrod View Post
    I recently played this game with the same motor. Did the fuel system maintenance hp pumps, filters, o2 sensor, plugs and it would still randomly shut down. Wound up being the solenoid. Easy fix but expensive part
    What solenoid did you replace? Thanks.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRETT View Post
    What solenoid did you replace? Thanks.
    He’s probably talking about the fuel pump relay. Usually when that goes, it will be random shut downs and no starts with it restarting again later.

9. Member
    Update. I have replaced all filters and lift pumps as well as clean the o2 sensor and still having problems. Motor cranks up and will run below 3500 rpms give it throttle above 3500 rpms and it dies like i pulled the killswitch...could this be a stator problem? I am lost. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

10. Member
    Hmmm. Might check your fuel pressure. Forgot that the spec is, but think it’s around 36-38 psi. Haven’t heard a fuel pump relay acting like that. Normally there will be a period where it won’t start if it’s that. Check your fuel lines too. Maybe they are breaking down and collapsing at higher pressures. I would replace the fuel bulb with a Yamaha one just to be safe.

Since you did the maintence, I would start at the tank and inspect/verify everything to the injectors. I would think it’s most likely fuel related rather than electrical.

Man I’ve been there and done all that. Check this lil screen out...... i didnt know it existed, but cured a headache of mine years ago.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....hlight=Gremlin

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLAB View Post
    Man I’ve been there and done all that. Check this lil screen out...... i didnt know it existed, but cured a headache of mine years ago.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....hlight=Gremlin
    Thanks!! I will check that out. If that does not work, I think I will be looking for a yamaha mechanic which if anyone has any recommendations around the tulsa, ok area or surrounding states let me know. Thank you for the info!

13. Member
    Had the same problem it was the fuel pressue regulator

Thanks!! I will check that out. If that does not work, I think I will be looking for a yamaha mechanic which if anyone has any recommendations around the tulsa, ok area or surrounding states let me know. Thank you for the info!

Man your only 3.5 hours from HydroTec, if I was that close to Nixa, Mo that’s the only people I’d let touch my motor.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLAB View Post
    Man your only 3.5 hours from HydroTec, if I was that close to Nixa, Mo that’s the only people I’d let touch my motor.
    I was thinking about them. I was not sure if they did service work or rebuild work only.

16. Member
    Put a mercury bulb on your fuel line before you spend any more money those cheaper primer bulbs have cost alot of folks issues lately .

I was thinking about them. I was not sure if they did service work or rebuild work only.
    Hydrotec does everything and they are great....I only go to them when my Yammie acts up.
    BassinBarrister
    2001 ChampioN 206 Elite
    225 Yamaha VMax EFI
    25P Trophy Plus Prop

18. Member
    When it does, does it always start right back up?
    If it doesn’t start, do you hear the fuel pump run with the key on?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    When it does, does it always start right back up?
    If it doesn’t start, do you hear the fuel pump run with the key on?
    it will start right back up. when I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump. I am taking the boat to Hydro Tec in the morning. Thanks for all the replies.

20. Member
    my 200 did the same found a small crack in fuel line in boat going to the bulb. not enough to leak but would suck air changed boats fuel line from tank to motor. fixed my problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast