1995 150XRi EFI Won't Start

1995 150XRi EFI Serial # 0G259195

Fished Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday with no issues. Ran great.

Friday morning it started like normal (first crank no throttle). I ran about 15 mins (ran good) and was slowing down to idle when it died. Always idled good with no issues before. I tried to start it and it would not start. I gave it throttle (hot foot) and tried to start it again and it started but died when I let off the gas to idle. I did this 2 more times with same results.

I fished a while and decided to head back in. I was able to start the motor if I gave it throttle when cranking. I ran back to the landing with no problems. It died when I let off and it got to idle. I started it again with throttle 2 more times at dock. Then it would not start even with throttle. Winched it on trailer and headed home.

I checked spark and do not get spark on the starboard plugs. I do see spark on the port plugs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by flashnyellow View Post
    1995 150XRi EFI Serial # 0G259195

I checked spark and do not get spark on the starboard plugs. I do see spark on the port plugs.

Any help would be appreciated.

First thing that comes to mind is a faulty switch box.

3. Member
    +1 ^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Thanks. I will start checking.

5. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I swapped the stator wires (red and red/white wires and blue and blue/white wires) going to the 2 switch boxes. I checked for spark and now the starboard bank has spark and port side does not.

Does this mean the stator is bad?

if so, should the stator and both boxes be replaced or any other parts be changed as a set?

Thanks.

Switch boxes should be replaced as a pair. As originally thought, you have a faulty switch box. Stator should be ok

8. Member
    Thanks.

9. Member
    The Stator was bad. I replaced it and its up and running.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flashnyellow View Post
    The Stator was bad. I replaced it and its up and running.
    Good choice. That's what your "swap" testing was telling you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor