New to the Suffolk Area

I am new and get very little time to fish but was curious if anyone knows where I can run my boat Im running a TR21X I know in the smaller lakes I can get the boat on the water without the prop but is that my only option with bass fishing around here? also has anyone had the chance to get out to lake Whitehurst since the re opening a few weeks back? I wanted to fish it in july because it looks promising just don't want to waste time if its a dead lake.

I was on Whitehurst yesterday for 5 hours. Ended up catching 25-30. Nothing big though. Largest around 3lbs. I grew up over your way. Those Suffok lakes are far better than a lot of places you'll fish and you'll catch them year around. Might wanna get a 14ft Jon boat and have at it. I live in the Virginia Beach/Pungo area and still drive out there with the aluminum boat to fish Burnt Mills.
    Youre not to far from the Chick and James which are both good tidal rivers. Luckily where I am there's 5 rivers within 20-45 minutes from me.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info I will have to do some research and find out what lakes are in Suffolk so I can get out on the water as for the john boat had one and didn't care too much for it so I got the bass boat and tend to dump way to much money into it lol. as for chick and the james where are the ramps I have heard about those body's of water but have no idea where to start looking

Osbourne is popular for the James, nice ramp.

Rt 5 campground is popular for the Chick.
    2008 Triton TR-196 / 200 HP Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
    Osbourne is popular for the James, nice ramp.

Rt 5 campground is popular for the Chick.
    thanks for the ramp info Ill defiantly be making a trip to them also when I launch at chick I take it as I make a right... also can I run on little creek reservoir?

6. Member
    If you want to fish a nice river system you could fish the Chowan or the Nottoway Rivers. They are not far from Suffolk. You will need a North Carolina fishing license to fish the Chowan. Take route 13 south out of Suffolk to get to Shups Landing on the Chowan. You will love that river and be able to fish in your Triton. Many other River around the area to fish. let me know if you have any questions.

7. Member
    Where does the Chowan begin to get salty, on average?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_kid View Post
    thanks for the ramp info Ill defiantly be making a trip to them also when I launch at chick I take it as I make a right... also can I run on little creek reservoir?
    Definitely not on little creek. All the Suffolk lakes are 9.9 hp rated. I believe there's 6 lakes over there.
    As for the Chick/ James. When u launch at rt 5 your in Gordon's Creek which is as solid as it gets for fishing. To the left under the bridge is where the James is. You can run over to Tommyhund or Chipokes. They're both good. I'm not sure what kinda water you're used to fishing but take it easy til you figure the river out. There's lots of tidal flats you can run up on. This time of year the reeds are up so its not to bad but once they're gone it looks like open water everywhere.

There is a decent amount of tournaments out of Tunis Landing on the Chowan River that produces some fairly large bags. You've also got the James/Chickahominy Rivers which can keep you very busy. Route 5 landing will give you options to fish the lower end of the James or the Chickahominy - there's no wrong choice here either.

Get familiar with fishing the tides and shallow water.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    I live in Chesapeake and enjoy fishing the NorthWest River out of Bobs Fishing Hole. They have a Wednesday night tournament from 5PM to dark and most Saturdays from safe light till 3PM. As stated the North Carolina rivers are all fishing well because we haven't had a hurricane in while. Get a good map and check out the Little River, the Yeopim, the Perquimmans, the Pasquatank, and the Chowan. Good luck and you can open up that Triton on all the rivers listed.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Where does the Chowan begin to get salty, on average?
    You can catch bass all the way to the mouth of the river and in the sound.

12. Member
    Wow, didn't figure that, thanks!

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The Chowan and the Sound are brackish, Kevin. Further up, the Blackwater and Nottoway join to form the Chowan...right on the VA/NC line. I live on a non-navigable creek off the Nottoway. Pretty rivers, for sure. All sorts of fish....SM Bass (way upriver), LM Bass, Perch, Stripers, a few Walleye at times, several species of Cats, Bowfin...etc, etc. BIG American Shad run in spring. On light tackle, they are a blast.... Lots of all sorts of Brim....

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazerVA View Post
    Definitely not on little creek. All the Suffolk lakes are 9.9 hp rated. I believe there's 6 lakes over there.
    As for the Chick/ James. When u launch at rt 5 your in Gordon's Creek which is as solid as it gets for fishing. To the left under the bridge is where the James is. You can run over to Tommyhund or Chipokes. They're both good. I'm not sure what kinda water you're used to fishing but take it easy til you figure the river out. There's lots of tidal flats you can run up on. This time of year the reeds are up so its not to bad but once they're gone it looks like open water everywhere.
    Where is Tommyhund?
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

I spelled it wrong. Its Tomahund. When you go under the rt5 bridge into the James its the first creek on the right. We were out there Monday during the rain and wind and did good there, the back of Gordons and the Throfare.

16. Member
    I've looked at Tomahund on maps/satellite in the past, looked interesting, so just a general question - when you go in a creek like that, are you staying in the main channel, or venturing out into all those little side channels any? I've got a lot to learn about fishing water like that and I don't want to learn the hard way, damaging my boat.

The creek has good water in it. Fish the drains on the outgoing tide. I believe the second big turn has some rocks in the corner. Other than that youre good. When you run in there youre gonna go across a flat. Theres a duck blind on the main river you can line up with then turn up into the creek.